After ten years Muslims make a stand against extremism.

Here we go again. How is it the fault of the media. On this thread I have asked every person to simply provide one link to some good work. One person did but it was all stuff from the 90's.
What do you mean 'here we go again'? I was responding directly to your rebuttal. Could anyone provide a link to an example of your 'good work'? Would the failure to provide such evidence represent proof that you do none? Of course it wouldn't.

Just for the record, over the years I've occasionally seen Muslims extend invitations to non Muslims to attend their mosque open days, from memory I recall only Tipex having ever taken them up on the offer, to be fair I didn't but you seem to only want to rely on evidence provided by the media, rather than that experienced by your own eyes. Get your backside out & about, meet some Muslims and see what they have to say about terrorism, I've never encountered any that have supported it.

Muslims can easily find a link of the bad work the Jews do, I don't hear them complaining it's the media. It's all a very crap excuse. If I'm so dumb as to believe the media why doesn't someone on this thread educate me?

"Muslims can easily find a link to the bad work the Jews do" Which Muslims? You mean the ones you read about in the media? Google the Cordoba project, a Muslim organisation in New York committed to a better accord between Muslims and non Muslims, particularly Jews, post 9/11. It receives little publicity and when it does it's usually negative-by people who don't believe the Muslim motive.

I've been called a bigot and racist and all I've asked for is some good work. I provided some in my opening link so the "It's the media" line simply does not wash.

What do you mean by 'good work'? Inventions? Contributions to society? You're not looking very deep if you can't find the positive contributions Muslims have made to the world, oh they're also responsible for a lot of the crap that goes on too...just like any other religion or group of atheists.

And for the record, no-one has asked muslims to condemn the behaviour. You shouldn't need to be asked. It should just come naturally and as such I'm sure one muslim somewhere has a blog about such things. Though I imagine the media have stamped it out.

What are you talking about? I gave you an example of English football hooligans earlier. I didn't feel the need to run to foreign newspapers and condemn then because they're nothing to do with me and don't represent the England that I'm part of, it doesn't mean I support football hooliganism. But if anyone ever asked for my view I'd give a very negative one.

What do you mean 'here we go again'? I was responding directly to your rebuttal. Could anyone provide a link to an example of your 'good work'? Would the failure to provide such evidence represent proof that you do none? Of course it wouldn't.

Just for the record, over the years I've occasionally seen Muslims extend invitations to non Muslims to attend their mosque open days, from memory I recall only Tipex having ever taken them up on the offer, to be fair I didn't but you seem to only want to rely on evidence provided by the media, rather than that experienced by your own eyes. Get your backside out & about, meet some Muslims and see what they have to say about terrorism, I've never encountered any that have supported it.

"Muslims can easily find a link to the bad work the Jews do" Which Muslims? You mean the ones you read about in the media? Google the Cordoba project, a Muslim organisation in New York committed to a better accord between Muslims and non Muslims, particularly Jews, post 9/11. It receives little publicity and when it does it's usually negative-by people who don't believe the Muslim motive.

What do you mean by 'good work'? Inventions? Contributions to society? You're not looking very deep if you can't find the positive contributions Muslims have made to the world, oh they're also responsible for a lot of the crap that goes on too...just like any other religion or group of atheists.

What are you talking about? I gave you an example of English football hooligans earlier. I didn't feel the need to run to foreign newspapers and condemn then because they're nothing to do with me and don't represent the England that I'm part of, it doesn't mean I support football hooliganism. But if anyone ever asked for my view I'd give a very negative one.

I'm simply looking for evidence of good work done in the community by muslims to stop other muslims turning to extremism. You know, like this bloke has done in Wembley. (Might I add he got death threats from certain elements of the muslim community).

If it's all out there like everyone keeps saying why is there not one link.

Lets go back a bit here. I posted the OP and since then many people have called me a bigot and racist and told me it's all out there it's just the media are hiding it.

Simply give me some evidence of it being out there. Surely something anecdotal.

There you go with the judgement. All these people on here suggesting it's my bigoted attitude. Why as an atheist would I want to go to a mosque.

Er, to see what the average Muslim is like ? - isn't that what you've been asking all along ? :cool:

If it's all around me surely I wouldn't have to go to a mosque. I've simply asked for links of work being done by muslims in the community to keep other muslims from turning to extremism. I even did a few googles myself. I found a few things but nothing truly positive. Mainly stuff about multiculturalism and how peaceful Islam is.

Why do you think what the average Muslims does (in regards to extremism or anything else), is going to get recorded ?

As I said earlier, just because you can't find any links, doesn't mean Muslims don't stand against extremism.

As 'boyfriday' has said, get off your backside and see for yourself.

You go to a mosque I imagine. Why don't you tell me what goes on. You have no problem telling us what jews sorry extremist Zionists are up to in Israel.

There's talks about how to live your life; there's talks about how to treat one another, whether Muslim or non; there's talks about respecting your surroundings. You know, all that 'extremist' talk....

And funny how you don't refer to Zionists as terrorists; that seems to say a lot about you, TE.

For instance, just to make it really simple. I've never been to St Luke's Hospice but I'm very aware of the good work they do as people on here often provide links or anecdotes.

Lol ! - you're comparing a Hospice to a place of Worship ?

What ?!

Er, to see what the average Muslim is like ? - isn't that what you've been asking all along ? :cool:

No. I have met plenty of muslims. I'm asking if anyone who keeps telling me it's the media could simply provide me with some form of work being done in the community by muslims to stop fellow muslims turning to extremism.

Why do you think what the average Muslims does (in regards to extremism or anything else), is going to get recorded ?

As I said earlier, just because you can't find any links, doesn't mean Muslims don't stand against extremism.

It's the Internet age. People make pages for any crap. I'm sure fighting extremism is worthy of at least one web page.

As 'boyfriday' has said, get off your backside and see for yourself.

I did and I thought it wasn't a lot after 10 years. Everybody then went on to call me racist and a bigot and claimed it is the media.

So I'm asking all the people who say that it's me and the media to change my bigoted view. No-one has though, they've just been rude or ignored me.

There's talks about how to live your life; there's talks about how to treat one another, whether Muslim or non; there's talks about respecting your surroundings. You know, all that 'extremist' talk....

And funny how you don't refer to Zionists as terrorists; that seems to say a lot about you, TE.

So there are no talks about how islamic extremism is a bad thing for the whole of Islam?

Lol ! - you're comparing a Hospice to a place of Worship ?

No, that would be silly. One is a place of healing. I'm suggesting I don't have to visit St Luke's Hospice to know of the good work they do. Word of mouth is very powerful.

I'm simply looking for evidence of good work done in the community by muslims to stop other muslims turning to extremism. You know, like this bloke has done in Wembley. (Might I add he got death threats from certain elements of the muslim community).

Lets go back a bit here. I posted the OP and since then many people have called me a bigot and racist and told me it's all out there it's just the media are hiding it.

I don't think anyone's suggesting it is all ok out there, certainly not more or less ok than any other community.

Here's a link to the Muslim Community Fund

http://www.mcfund.org.uk/1-156-about-us.aspx

..even scouting for Muslims!

http://scouts.org.uk/ccblog/140/scouting-in-the-muslim-community

Ps: You've mentioned it several times now on this thread, but I don't see where anyone has accused you of being a racist or a bigot. Is feigning this supposed to place in the minds of observers the suggestion that your detractors are being unreasonable?

I don't think anyone's suggesting it is all ok out there, certainly not more or less ok than any other community.

Here's a link to the Muslim Community Fund

http://www.mcfund.org.uk/1-156-about-us.aspx

..even scouting for Muslims!

Ps: You've mentioned it several times now on this thread, but I don't see where anyone has accused you of being a racist or a bigot. Is feigning this supposed to place in the minds of observers the suggestion that your detractors are being unreasonable?

Thanks.

See Max's post regarding bigotry. Seepost 7 for racist label.

http://www.mcfund.org.uk/4-news2-175-274-news.aspx

Doesn't mention anything regarding extremism. It doesn't even mention Wembley.

The last one seemed far more positive.

The Pakistani community centre at Firth Park is always holding events that are aimed at improving relations between different ethnicities in the area. It's run by Muslims and the centre was originally set up to help Pakistani's that were new to Sheffield, but now they largely help the Roma, Polish and Slovaks in the local area to integrate and settle in. I've been to a number of music and social events there, I know they run a local football team and they provide free lunches and health checks for the elderly. They're also trying to set up a local gym.

None of this good work is blazened across the media on the 6 o'clock news because it's real life and not news, but I did hear the news media accuse other centres such as this of supporting terrorism back in Pakistan. If this were true, if there was evidence for it, I'm sure the police would have prosecuted those involved, but it isn't true and they have no evidence. All the media do is whip up suspicion and then retreat back to their offices leaving hard working people behind to try to pick up the pieces and ease the resulting local tensions.

If you're looking for evidence of organisations that aim to tackle extremism specifically then this is a good site to start with. The list at the bottom of the page might give you some idea of how many Muslim organisations are involved:

http://www.wewillinspire.com/index.php/sections/news-view/news_coalition_of_british_muslim_organisations_issues_joint_statement_to_co

The Pakistani community centre at Firth Park is always holding events that are aimed at improving relations between different ethnicities in the area. It's run by Muslims and the centre was originally set up to help Pakistani's that were new to Sheffield, but now they largely help the Roma, Polish and Slovaks in the local area to integrate and settle in. I've been to a number of music and social events there, I know they run a local football team and they provide free lunches and health checks for the elderly. They're also trying to set up a local gym.

None of this good work is blazened across the media on the 6 o'clock news because it's real life and not news, but I did hear the news media accuse other centres such as this of supporting terrorism back in Pakistan. If this were true, if there was evidence for it, I'm sure the police would have prosecuted those involved, but it isn't true and they have no evidence. All the media do is whip up suspicion and then retreat back to their offices leaving hard working people behind to try to pick up the pieces and ease the resulting local tensions.

If you're looking for evidence of organisations that aim to tackle extremism specifically then this is a good site to start with. The list at the bottom of the page might give you some idea of how many Muslim organisations are involved:

http://www.wewillinspire.com/index.php/sections/news-view/news_coalition_of_british_muslim_organisations_issues_joint_statement_to_co

Thank you Cavegirl. Thank you very much indeed.

That site seems very "Feminine". It will do for me though.

Archived