After ten years Muslims make a stand against extremism.

Thanks.

See Max's post regarding bigotry. Seepost 7 for racist label.

In fairness I read this as the poster referring to racists and Islamophobes generally rather than you specifically.

The sooner the racists and Islamophobes stop blaming every Muslim on the planet for the actions of a few, the better we'd all be.

In fairness I read this as the poster referring to racists and Islamophobes generally rather than you specifically.

But there's nothing racist about disliking a religion. Islamaphobia is a term banded about a lot to dismiss any questioning of Islam as offensive to Islam. It's all a dirty tactic.

Lets look at my OP again.

Is it a case of too little too late? Has the practice of just standing by and protecting the extremists done too much irreversible damage for the muslim community?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15044797

The same man issued a Fatwa against terrorism last year. I don't think it was very successful.

Does that warrant calls of Islamaphobia, racism or bigotry?

If integration had been encouraged instead of multi culturalism for immigrants years ago we maybe would not have had seperate communities suspicious of each other and living in isolation.

Immigrant communities whether they be Muslims and Poles in Britain or British in Africa or Australia flock together because new entrants seek out familiar faces amongst the ones already here and have done since the beginning of global travel and population migration. They can also help with accommodation, work, education and affiliating with the host community.

But there's nothing racist about disliking a religion.
Well I think in common shorthand many see Muslims as a race rather than a religion.

Islamaphobia is a term banded about a lot to dismiss any questioning of Islam as offensive to Islam. It's all a dirty tactic.

I disagree since many of the negative perspectives on Islam are formed by people with no experience of it who are quick to make generalisations about people who observe it.

Lets look at my OP again.

Does that warrant calls of Islamaphobia, racism or bigotry?

Maybe not, but it does warrant robust challenges to what is an ignorant and facile question in the first place.

Why don't we have a thread entitled "why don't men make a stand against paedophiles, rapists or the freemasons"..you might see the idiocy of such a suggestion?

Why don't we have a thread entitled "why don't men make a stand against paedophiles, rapists or the freemasons"..you might see the idiocy of such a suggestion?

You do actively see the above in the community. Maybe not so much the freemasons. In the case of paedophiles it's often portrayed quite negatively in certain wings of the media and positive in others.

The event was clearly designed to be a public spectacle to show muslims being united in their condemnation of extremism. It got media coverage too. Asking if it's a bit too little too late isn't ignorant or facile at all.

I disagree since many of the negative perspectives on Islam are formed by people with no experience of it who are quick to make generalisations about people who observe it.

When people are labelled as bigots, racists or Islamaphobes for asking perfectly legitimate questions, is it any wonder why?

Islam has the same freedom on how it presents itself to the world as any other large organisation.

You do actively see the above in the community. Maybe not so much the freemasons. In the case of paedophiles it's often portrayed quite negatively in certain wings of the media and positive in others.

The event was clearly designed to be a public spectacle to show muslims being united in their condemnation of extremism. It got media coverage too. Asking if it's a bit too little too late isn't ignorant or facile at all.

ten years down the line is more than a little too late.

I certainly didn't when British football hooligans rampaged across Europe, .
Do tell us which jets they hijacked and flew into Wembleys twin towers, maybe you'd like to tell us how many suicide bombs the football supporters have set off or about the London tube and busses they've blown up.

Archived