18 years old, entitled to higher minimum wage? YOU'RE FIRED!

A cafe owner has been ordered to pay £1,300 to a teenager she fired because she turned 18.

Jenna Greer told a tribunal she spoke to her boss the day before her birthday and mentioned that she would have to increase her pay from £4 an hour to £4.92, the minimum age for someone over the age of 18.

But when Miss Greer rang owner Heather Coulter's Alphreso Cafe in Newtownabbey, Northern Ireland, to find out what shifts she would next be working, she was told she had been 'cheeky' in asking for a pay rise and there was nothing available.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2041331/Cafe-owner-pays-Jenna-Greer-compensation-sacked-turning-18.html#ixzz1YubEqZGf

This clearly must be the fault of the young lady, wishing to work the legal minimum wage. The audacity of the youth of today! They have no work ethic and expect the world. They want to buy now and pay later. If it wasn't for them, the economy wouldn't be in the mess that it is in!:roll:

Why is it that people feel they can treat the youth like ****?

And do they think it will be good for their business? Bode well for them in retirement? Are the youth ripe to be taken advantage of?

Is a person 34 years of age really an adult? Perhaps they deserve a lower minimum wage?

To be honest, the law stinks. Why does a 17 year old washing the pots, get less than a 18 year old? Isn't the law itself exploitative of our youth? Is it more money again when you're 21? The minimum wage is a false description really, it's not a wage, it's a joke, and the age banding just rubber stamps exploiting our youth. The whole thing stinks to high heaven, in my opinion.

To be honest, the law stinks. Why does a 17 year old washing the pots, get less than a 18 year old? Isn't the law itself exploitative of our youth? Is it more money again when you're 21? The minimum wage is a false description really, it's not a wage, it's a joke, and the age banding just rubber stamps exploiting our youth. The whole thing stinks to high heaven, in my opinion.

Because with age comes greater responsibility, financial or otherwise.

Ten years ago, I didn't have a house, a car to run, children, or bills to pay. I earned 60 quid a week and I was happy. I couldnt live on 3.00 an hour now, but if I was 17 I dare say I could cope with minimum wage as it's still proportionately higher than what I got at that age.

Because with age comes greater responsibility, financial or otherwise.

Ten years ago, I didn't have a house, a car to run, children, or bills to pay. I earned 60 quid a week and I was happy. I couldnt live on 3.00 an hour now, but if I was 17 I dare say I could cope with minimum wage as it's still proportionately higher than what I got at that age.

We're talking about washing the pots and not an increase in responsibiliby - doing the same job.

If you get more responsibility at work, you should get more money automatically.

Why should a 17 year old be able to 'cope' with the wage, and an over 18 not? Sounds like exploitation to me - a fair wage for a fair day's work is what I say.

It does make sense. 16/17 year olds have less life experience and general ability, so employers can expect them to be a greater training and supervision burden, and less productive than somebody a few years older.

It does make sense. 16/17 year olds have less life experience and general ability, so employers can expect them to be a greater training and supervision burden, and less productive than somebody a few years older.

Perhaps we should lower the minimum wage for the over 50s, these people aren't as fit as their younger counterparts and get extra tax credits, so a lower wage wouldn't adversely affect them...

If they can't command a high enough wage, they probably don't deserve it, a lower minimum wage for the over 50s could give them a shot at getting a job!

A while ago I needed a couple of extra staff to work full time doing quite simple work (numbering stock and pressing moulds) Full training was given and the two were school leavers, they were very slick at interveiw which got them the job.

I paid them the min. wage, but NOT the 16 year old rate, I paid the FULL 21 YEAR OLD rate because I don't agree with slavery.

They chuffed around all day, couldn't even put the right numbers on items (copying from a sheet)? and lasted 2 weeks before I gave in trying to train them and let them go.

One of the parents came to see me protesting that I didn't give them long enough????

She soon changed her tune when I showed her the job in detail and the wage for doing it, in fact she asked if I would consider HER for the job :hihi:

Perhaps we should lower the minimum wage for the over 50s, these people aren't as fit as their younger counterparts and get extra tax credits, so a lower wage wouldn't adversely affect them...

If they can't command a high enough wage, they probably don't deserve it, a lower minimum wage for the over 50s could give them a shot at getting a job!

To be honest I'd reduce the minimum wage full stop - there are plenty of tasks that require no skill and plenty of people with the skillset to suit whose labour is of little value to an employer.

You may have a point, but maybe not over 50s as they don't get any extra benefits than a 30yo. but poss to help over 60s get jobs it might work? or should we concentrate on the young?

Archived