18 years old, entitled to higher minimum wage? YOU'RE FIRED!

Perhaps we should lower the minimum wage for the over 50s, these people aren't as fit as their younger counterparts and get extra tax credits, so a lower wage wouldn't adversely affect them...

If they can't command a high enough wage, they probably don't deserve it, a lower minimum wage for the over 50s could give them a shot at getting a job!

Many a true word spoken in jest ……….. as people get older they often start to down size and the type of work / pay may well be one of the things to change.

To be honest I'd reduce the minimum wage full stop - there are plenty of tasks that require no skill and plenty of people with the skillset to suit whose labour is of little value to an employer.

The only people I know who work for less than the MW are those on cash in hand and claiming benefits.

It works out at a very high wage per hour in real terms. More than most of us law abiding citizens.

You may have a point, but maybe not over 50s as they don't get any extra benefits than a 30yo. but poss to help over 60s get jobs it might work? or should we concentrate on the young?

The over 50s need only work 16 hours + at min wage for tax credits. And they get paid a premium tax credit for being over 50.

Over 25s, 30+ hours.

Under 25, not at all, unless they have a child...

Those over 60 (and of pensionable age, have a higher tax threshold), those over the pensionable age for women(be they male or female) are entitled to pension credit.

The over 50s need only work 16 hours + at min wage for tax credits. And they get paid a premium tax credit for being over 50.

Over 25s, 30+ hours.

Under 25, not at all, unless they have a child...

Those over 60 (and of pensionable age, have a higher tax threshold), those over the pensionable age for women(be they male or female) are entitled to pension credit.

What do u mean by tax credits?

To be honest I'd reduce the minimum wage full stop - there are plenty of tasks that require no skill and plenty of people with the skillset to suit whose labour is of little value to an employer.

I could only agree with this, if benefits were paid as a basic income. (And they will be, come the introduction of universal credit), and if the MDR was reduced for low earners, UC will attract MDRs of 65-74%, the majority of UC will be paid in the form of a landlord subsidy. So this needs to be taken account of and adequate provision of affordable housing for low earners (particularly the youth, but also those without assets of any age, and those on fixed incomes)...

Archived