BBC go with BCE and not BC.

In a Jewish cemetery, I imagine. No, I don't know where. Next time you're in Israel, ask.

You do realise, of course, that none of this has anything to do with the thread's topic?

Yes it does. We're using the birth of a man that you say never proclaimed himself to be the son of god and did really exist but no-one knows where he's buried as the point of origin for current dates. It's very relevant.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2041765/BBC-BC-AD-debate-Our-language-hijacked-Left.html

There's a good article here. She reckons that paper is too white, teachers have to lie about their favourite colour and Guy Fawkes night has been re-branded because it offends Catholics.

Go Melanie! you couldn't make it up! :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2041765/BBC-BC-AD-debate-Our-language-hijacked-Left.html

There's a good article here. She reckons that paper is too white, teachers have to lie about their favourite colour and Guy Fawkes night has been re-branded because it offends Catholics.

Go Melanie! you couldn't make it up! :)

I'm sure you could have a good go Frank!:rolleyes:

Yes it does. We're using the birth of a man that you say never proclaimed himself to be the son of god and did really exist but no-one knows where he's buried as the point of origin for current dates. It's very relevant.

Relevant to year numbering: yes.

Relevant to year suffixing (CE or AD): ditto.

But the minutiae of how he lived/died and was buried: no.

What's common about the common era? Common to who you have to ask and the answer is common to countries which share a past or current Christian heritage. Just stick with BC and AD I would say as anything else is hiding from the past.

And it's also easier to say BC than BCE. :)

Archived