BBC go with BCE and not BC.

Easy: because there's eyewitness testimony available.

Unless you don't agree with the concept of eyewitness testimony? If so, don't tell the Court at your trial!

I don't think a court would accept a story, written about someone who died way before the authors decided to write it, as testimony.

EDIT: For some reason I originally said "before the authors were born"

There actually is loads of evidence that Jesus existed you need to watch more of those Discovery channels. I've just googled the percentage of Christians of the U.K and many are very similar with about 70% of the UK who are Christian look at this this is just one of them - http://www.eauk.org/media/70pc-britons-say-theyre-christian.cfm

I disagree and even athiests disagree with the BBC axing the BC/AD believers or not it's just not on.

I don't find BCE offensive, just pointless. If 20 BCE means 20 years before (the date we have chosen as being) the birth of Christ, why not just say so and avoid all this "Common Era" rubbish!

Easy.

Jesus of Nazareth did not have a surname. No-one did in those days.

'Christos' is the Greek for 'messiah'. So to append 'christ' to the name of Jesus indicates acceptance of his messianic status- which he never claimed: that role was thrust upon him three or four centuries after his death by the four gospel writers.

'BC' is thus tendentious as is 'AD' [= anno domini = from the year of the L-d']. BCE/CE do not have these associated problems.

Archived