BBC go with BCE and not BC.

Easy.

Jesus of Nazareth did not have a surname. No-one did in those days.

'Christos' is the Greek for 'messiah'. So to append 'christ' to the name of Jesus indicates acceptance of his messianic status- which he never claimed: that role was thrust upon him three or four centuries after his death by the four gospel writers.

'BC' is thus tendentious as is 'AD' [= anno domini = from the year of the L-d']. BCE/CE do not have these associated problems.

The woman saith unto him, I know that Messiah cometh, he that is called Christ, when he is come, he will declare unto us all things. Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he. (John 4:25)

I agree, so that rules-out the 'Gospels'.

Yes I realised my mistake and corrected it, at the exact same time you posted this according to the time stamps. Still, the bible (new testament) was written a long time after he died, it's hardly an eyewitness testimony is it.

Personally I'm not bothered either way, regardless of whether Jesus Christ existed or not, or was the son of god, the year of his "birth" is pretty much a universally accepted date, which acts as the measuring point we all know today. That's all it is to me, a date-stamp and I have no issue with it.

Archived