Has your car insurance renewal gone up this year?

So why on earth do other people use them? :?
Because they get told to do so by their TV.

The more people use them, the bigger their pull on insurers, the bigger their commission, the higher the knock-on on premiums.

[meerkat]Simples...

They live of the back of people that fall for gimicks like free Meerkats.
Indeedy[/meerkat] :D

It's the same laziness-induced mental regression as people who can't live without a mobile phone anymore (and can't plan their day/week/outings/etc ahead), and who can't get anywhere without following their GPS gizmos (and can't plan a journey/read a map anymore).

Because they get told to do so by their TV.

The more people use them, the bigger their pull on insurers, the bigger their commission, the higher the knock-on on premiums.

[meerkat]Simples...

Indeedy[/meerkat] :D

It's the same laziness-induced mental regression as people who can't live without a mobile phone anymore (and can't plan their day/week/outings/etc ahead), and who can't get anywhere without following their GPS gizmos (and can't plan a journey/read a map anymore).

Your confusing using a tool for maximum efficiency with laziness. I don't suppose you walk everywhere instead of using some form of lazy motorised transport? Or shout really loud if you need to talk to someone who's not nearby?

Your confusing using a tool for maximum efficiency with laziness.
Not really.

Comparison websites are time-savers, but return more expensive results than insurers which do not feature on comparison websites (which we have used religiously for the last 2 years, always taking care to run their quotes against a couple of comparison websites' results: invariably, the non-comparison website insurers are cheaper, often by well over £50 on a fully-comp premium in the £300<P<£400 region).

Nothing surprising there, since there is an additional cost to the insurer associated with featuring on comparison websites, which is necessarily passed onto its customers (whether they actually use comparison websites or not).

If your 'free' time is more valuable than the additional savings to be had when doing the long/hard way (phone), fair enough. I doubt that corresponds to the majority of insured drivers these days - especially in light of the seemingly uniform 30%-across-the-board premium increases this year ;)

I don't suppose you walk everywhere instead of using some form of lazy motorised transport? Or shout really loud if you need to talk to someone who's not nearby?
I'm not a luddite, Cyclone. Neither am I blinded by technological snake oil: when the cost of using a 'better' tool exceeds its benefit, there is little point in using it.

I've tried a couple of the "we don't appear on comparison sites" and given it up as a bad job after they returned very high results. For the foreseeable future I'll just use a couple of comparison sites.

I was only going by your characterisation of GPS and mobile phones as being tools for the lazy.

I was only going by your characterisation of GPS and mobile phones as being tools for the lazy.
That is not what I said, Cyclone.

The characterisation was about certain people (those who are/have become useless without such tools...or who ignore potentially cheaper alternatives because they want a free toy meerkat ;)). Not all the people. Nor their tools, either.

Archived