Would dumping leaves be classed as littering?

Sounds like a stupid question I know, but today I put a load of grass cuttings into carrier bags to take to the tip along with some other stuff, and while I was at it I swept up a load of leaves that had blown onto my garden into bags to take to the tip also.

As I put the bags of leaves into the boot of my car, I contemplated just tipping them out on the floor, they would have only blown around and scattered about and joined the rest of the leaves all over the floor. I was half tempted to do this but refrained.

Just out of interest, would that be classed as littering?

Good question!

Morally no, but i'd guess (and this is a guess) that once you have bagged them up the council would treat them as organic waste produced by you and you would need to comply with their policy - pathetic as it is - on disposing of it, so just dropping them on the floor they would look on as fly tipping.

I think you'd be prosecuted for 'Careless autumnal behaviour'

I presume you're talking here of deciduous leaves? The safest way to dispose of these is to individually bubble wrap them and post them to Sheffield City Council, enclosing a SAE for a receipt (in the case of large leaves like sycamore or chestnut, it's permissible to fold them in half.)

If, God forbid, you happen upon a conker or acorn, you should alert the Police immediately, they're fully trained for this kind of eventuality and will cordon the immediate area off (with their special yellow tape) and dispose of them under a controlled explosion.

Coniferous needles (although evergreen) should under no circumstances be approached, even by highly trained professionals!

I think you'd be prosecuted for 'Careless autumnal behaviour'

I presume you're talking here of deciduous leaves? The safest way to dispose of these is to individually bubble wrap them and post them to Sheffield City Council, enclosing a SAE for a receipt (in the case of large leaves like sycamore or chestnut, it's permissible to fold them in half.)

If, God forbid, you happen upon a conker or acorn, you should alert the Police immediately, they're fully trained for this kind of eventuality and will cordon the immediate area off (with their special yellow tape) and dispose of them under a controlled explosion.

Coniferous needles (although evergreen) should under no circumstances be approached, even by highly trained professionals!

I 101% agree. A good tree docter always carrys yellow tape (and small explosives) and will treat the OP and tree debris with respect.

So, if I pick a can of stella up (with fag ends in and cat sick) I actually own it?

You would own it only as far as legally having to dispose it under the relevant EU dictacts, if you tried to sell the can, fag ends or cat sick then you would technically be guilty of theft by finding, as you would evidenced a desire to permenantly deprive the smoker, the drinker and the cat of what was theirs.

Makes you proud to be British does it not? :)

You would own it only as far as legally having to dispose it under the relevant EU dictacts, if you tried to sell the can, fag ends or cat sick then you would technically be guilty of theft by finding, as you would evidenced a desire to permenantly deprive the smoker, the drinker and the cat of what was theirs.

Makes you proud to be British does it not? :)

Not really :( What if I passed the can on to a MP?

Archived