Has anything good ever come from Wales ?

Two mates went into a pub in North Wales, as soon as they were recognised as being English, the customers and staff reverted to speaking Welsh. My mates than started speaking Sheffield slang in broad Sheffield accents, the taffies hadn't got a clue what was going on. :hihi:

Almost certainly apocryphal and just the kind of rubbish that makes you understand why Welsh people think the English arrogant.

As anyone who has spent anytime in Welsh speaking areas of Wales will know people converse in Welsh in pubs, on the school playground everywhere. It's not exactly rocket science it's their language so they speak it! How arrogant to think that they all can't wait to speak English and are only speaking their own language to **** off English people.

And what is this rare South Yorkshire dialect that is so impenetrable that someone else that can understand English can't decipher...? I've yet to hear it spoken myself.

In other words a pretty ridiculous pointless post really.

PS Surely it's being rather pedantic to say Lloyd George was not a Welsh prime minister - nb born to Welsh speaking Welsh parents in the 3 months they were in Manchester looking for work.

Which literally means hoverer.

One thing I found interesting recently is that the Italian word for dangerous is pericoloso, in Welsh Peryglus.

My SOs gran was a native welsh speaker, and she had no trouble communicating with Bretons in their language.

The welsh for "microwave oven" always amuses me.

Normans being confused with Norsemen.

Confused? they WERE Norseman that's what the words Normans/Normandy are derived from - they'd only been in what became Normandy about 80 years when they invaded England. And unfortunately with the majority of our aristocracy still being still descended from them they still rule England today...

Almost certainly apocryphal and just the kind of rubbish that makes you understand why Welsh people think the English arrogant.

As anyone who has spent anytime in Welsh speaking areas of Wales will know people converse in Welsh in pubs, on the school playground everywhere. It's not exactly rocket science it's their language so they speak it! How arrogant to think that they all can't wait to speak English and are only speaking their own language to **** off English people.

And what is this rare South Yorkshire dialect that is so impenetrable that someone else that can understand English can't decipher...? I've yet to hear it spoken myself.

PS Surely it's being rather pedantic to say Lloyd George was not a Welsh prime minister - nb born to Welsh speaking Welsh parents in the 3 months they were in Manchester looking for work.

Three posts eh, wannabe troll, well congratulations on achieving your ambition so quickly. :suspect:

I do not agree. Welsh people are some of the most xenophobic I have ever met. In the Welsh school I attended we used to get detention for speaking English on the playground (just worth mentioning).

I have since been back to Wales many times with my Yorkshire friends and on many occaisions have heard locals and staff in bars talk about us in a very negative way. They soon shrink back when I admonish their attitude in Welsh.

Confused? they WERE Norseman that's what the words Normans/Normandy are derived from - they'd only been in what became Normandy about 80 years when they invaded England. And unfortunately with the majority of our aristocracy still being still descended from them they still rule England today...

I wasn't confused. :huh:

Normans being confused with Norsemen.

The Normans were in fact direct descendents of Norsemen who settled in France and adopted the French language and customs.

Despite that they still inherited the tough warrior spirit of their Norse forefathers and in time that resulted in the Englishman being the excellent and formidable soldier that he later became.

Archived