Holidays on the Iberian Peninsular

Well the bucket and spade are packed for departure this Saturday, as usual I have only just tied up the loose ends. I have just booked an Opel Corsa for collection at Malaga Airport for £100.00 for 2 weeks, I paid more than that 30 years ago for a clapped out Panda.

This got me wondering, as we are using 2 banked timeshare weeks to exchange, cost didn't come into the equation. However we have exchanged a 2 bed, 1 bath apartment on La Manga strip in December for a 2 bed, 2 bath apartment in October on the Costa del Sol. The complex that we are staying at is all singing all dancing, pools, restaurants etc, and the apartments rent out for circa £800 per week and are currently available for half of that.

We were over there in April and noticed that the recession had started to bite, I'm half expecting that we will have the resort almost to ourselves.

shouldnt be that bad, I was in Tenerife a coiple of weeks ago, it was pretty busy. I got the impressuion that people were still going but maybe spending a bit less.

Well the bucket and spade are packed for departure this Saturday, as usual I have only just tied up the loose ends. I have just booked an Opel Corsa for collection at Malaga Airport for £100.00 for 2 weeks, I paid more than that 30 years ago for a clapped out Panda.

This got me wondering, as we are using 2 banked timeshare weeks to exchange, cost didn't come into the equation. However we have exchanged a 2 bed, 1 bath apartment on La Manga strip in December for a 2 bed, 2 bath apartment in October on the Costa del Sol. The complex that we are staying at is all singing all dancing, pools, restaurants etc, and the apartments rent out for circa £800 per week and are currently available for half of that.

We were over there in April and noticed that the recession had started to bite, I'm half expecting that we will have the resort almost to ourselves.

Good luck, Crookesey. - If the resort is empty, do you think the barkeepers and others will hike the prices to make good the shortfall?

After all, if they're losing money, you're there and they all hike the prices, you can hardly go elsewhere, can you?

As we have a fridge and a balcony the bars can charge what they wish. Our favoured tapas bar charged 12.50 Euros for a cracking meal for two including drinks back in April. We tend to prefer either beach front or a traditional Spanish village a bit inland, the former is twice the price of the latter, but the average is still less than the UK.

A bit of advice for you guys, hire car insurance is very basic in certain European countries, Towergate do an annual Insurance Excess contract for £37.99, so if you get a nasty surprise on your credit card bill, you simply claim it back.

Archived