Amazon Kindle - Help

Mandem

According to Amazon's Kindle page it has 'experimental' web browsing. I think Amazon just thought it would be a good idea to try and make basic web browsing possible, but don't think of it as cheap way to get an iPad/tablet. Oh, and you can surf the net on the wifi only one (but obviously only when you're connected to a wifi hotspot).

However it looks like Amazon will be launching a proper tablet in time for Xmas so you might want to wait for a bit before deciding.

The 3G one just allows you to buy books anytime, anywhere.

Since it holds so many books, this was a extra not required for my wife's Kindle imho. Especially for the 33% extra cost. We can load it with books at home, at a hotspot, no problem.

You can't really "surf" the net with it.

I was really fancying getting myself a Kindle, seeing as I've always got my nose stuck in a book.

I was looking at the "readers" in Waterstones, and was asking the staff about them, and how they compared to the Kindle.

The Waterstones' version was £69.99.

The chap advised me that, not only are the Kindles twice (to 3X) the price of the readers at Waterstones, you can only buy the e-books for the kindle through Amazon.

I'm not sure if that's gospel. He said that the ones they sell can have books downloaded from anywhere, not just Amazon.

I have surfed the net on mine, even posted on here. There is a neat website that converts other websites into a format that is more friendly to the Kindle. If you investigate the Kindle a little more, there is also a lot of useful programs around, one which downloads the newspapers from their website into a format that you can read, for free.

I was really fancying getting myself a Kindle, seeing as I've always got my nose stuck in a book.

I was looking at the "readers" in Waterstones, and was asking the staff about them, and how they compared to the Kindle.

The Waterstones' version was £69.99.

The chap advised me that, not only are the Kindles twice (to 3X) the price of the readers at Waterstones, you can only buy the e-books for the kindle through Amazon.

I'm not sure if that's gospel. He said that the ones they sell can have books downloaded from anywhere, not just Amazon.

With the Kindle you are not tied to Amazon, there are programs that can change the format of other ebooks into the format that the Knidle can read, even PDF files.

With the Kindle you are not tied to Amazon, there are programs that can change the format of other ebooks into the format that the Knidle can read, even PDF files.

Calibre can convert epub etc to Kindle's mobi format. However, I'm not sure how it handles DRM-protected files (presumably like the ones bought from Waterstones and WH Smiths, who don't support Kindle), if at all. I've converted free epub ebooks to Kindle-compatible mobi files with no bother.

I am thinking of asking Santa Clause for a Kindle. If I get the dearer one with the WiFi and 3G can I surf the net on it, any help would be appreciated.

From a technophobe.

You can surf the net for free, anywhere, on a 3G kindle. However it's is awkward, fiddly, slow, buggy, and ultimately as much fun as sticking pins in your eyes. Not recommend for technophobes.

If you want to BUY books, you are tied to amazon. However there are plenty of FREE books you can download from different websites, and transfer over to your kindle.

Amazon are holding a press conference in the next few days which is supposedly the long rumoured Amazon tablet called "Kindle Fire".Might be worth holding off as well as they are working on the next generation Kindle to come out in the first Q1 of 2012 according to a lot of tech blogs.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/27/is-a-second-generation-kindle-fire-tablet-hitting-early-next-yea/

Archived