Google Street used to plan 75% of burglaries.

The majority of burglars are using social media websites to help target victims and plan their crimes, a survey suggests.

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16077087

Were the original concerns correct and should street view now be banned?

Combine it with FaceBook, where hapless attention seekers post regular updates on their lives:

"The new 60 inch plasmsa TV came today at last, it's AMAZING!!! Cost a fortune but was worth it!"

Followed 2 days later by....

"YAYYYY!! Only 3 days left until we go to cyprus!!! CAN'T WAIT!!! Sun and fun for 2 whole weeks!!!"

Makes you wonder if some people deserve it :loopy:

Combine it with FaceBook, where hapless attention seekers post regular updates on their lives:

"The new 60 inch plasmsa TV came today at last, it's AMAZING!!! Cost a fortune but was worth it!"

"YAYYYY!! Only 3 days left until we go to cyprus!!! CAN'T WAIT!!! Sun and fun for 2 whole weeks!!!"

I've seen lots like that. (Cyclone this doesn't mean I want Facebook shutting down and Zucherberg to be shot. I may ask what others think from time to time though.)

Well, do you think it should be banned? If so, why?

No, not at all. When people started being alarmed about street view when it first arrived I did what I could to make them see sense. I use Street view regularly (At least once a day) in my work. It's a fantastic tool. I work in IT too so I'm familiar with the online world and security.

It seems that asking a question on here is taken of a statement of intent.

just to really show it, I think all the hype about Google mapping Wi-Fi was a lot of hot air too.

My facebook status is private to only my friends. I only have my actual friends and family on facebook (about 50 people total), so if I get burgled having posted something like that, my family and friends will be getting a knock on the door from me demanding my tv back! :)

My facebook status is private to only my friends. I only have my actual friends and family on facebook (about 50 people total), so if I get burgled having posted something like that, my family and friends will be getting a knock on the door from me demanding my tv back! :)

You'd be surprised how many view facebook in the presence of others, or in public places, or just let others have their log in details.

Then there's always the chance of someone playing someone who they aren't.

EDIT: Then there's also this scenario....

Sarah has just been reading Lucy's facebook wall, she then gets talking to Mike (who ISN'T one of Lucy's friends on facebook), at some point in the conversation Lucy is mentioned. "Oh she's bragging about stuff again, she's got this new fancy TV and a nice holiday coming up. I'm sick of hearing about it!"

"....really?" says Mike......:twisted:

Then the follow up post after 15 days...

"Got back from hols, and we'd been robbed. Everything gone! Having to UD FB via friends PC":D

Archived