Google Street used to plan 75% of burglaries.

It seems that asking a question on here is taken of a statement of intent.

It's all about how you phrase it.

"XXX bad thing might be related to YYY. Should YYY be banned?"

If you write that and don't bother to give your opinion (one of the rules about starting threads like this is that you should actually state your opinion isn't it) then the obvious implication to draw is that you support that ban.

You could try alternate wording.

"XXX bad thing might be related to YYY. That doesn't mean it should be banned though does it?"

Completely different implication whilst starting exactly the same debate.

Or if you must use the first form, you could clarify your own position

"I don't think it should be banned myself as YYY can be used for either good or evil like any tool."

You'd be surprised how many view facebook in the presence of others, or in public places, or just let others have their log in details.

Then there's always the chance of someone playing someone who they aren't.

EDIT: Then there's also this scenario....

Sarah has just been reading Lucy's facebook wall, she then gets talking to Mike (who ISN'T one of Lucy's friends on facebook), at some point in the conversation Lucy is mentioned. "Oh she's bragging about stuff again, she's got this new fancy TV and a nice holiday coming up. I'm sick of hearing about it!"

"....really?" says Mike......:twisted:

That's no more or less likely than your friend saying the same thing in the pub is it! It relies on 'Mike' knowing who you are and where you live, none of which is included in the example you gave.

Google only tells people where you live not whether you're home or not. A low life burglar is usually opportunist anyway. For example if our car is outside our house does not necessarily mean we're in and conversely if it's not it doesn't necessarily mean we're both out so it that sense google is of no use

Well, do you think it should be banned? If so, why?

He's asking for your point of view what can be easier but to give it. This post has degenerated into a slow and painful dissecting of the wording. The OP is suggesting that there may be some truth behind the survey and asks what others might think. If you think not then say why, or if you agree say why. Whether his point of view is there or not is immaterial, it may be that if the debate kicks off proper his own view will be divulged then.

He's asking for your point of view what can be easier but to give it. This post has degenerated into a slow and painful dissecting of the wording. The OP is suggesting that there may be some truth behind the survey and asks what others might think. If you think not then say why, or if you agree say why. Whether his point of view is there or not is immaterial, it may be that if the debate kicks off proper his own view will be divulged then.

If you'd bothered to read the thread you'd see that I already have given my opinion (post no. 10) and was just trying to clarify what the OP's opinion was, given that it wasn't immediately apparent form what he intially said.

Whether his point of view is there or not is immaterial, it may be that if the debate kicks off proper his own view will be divulged then.

It's entirely material, if he wants to start a debate he should start it by explaining his opinion, not by posting leading questions then claiming that they were not meant to be leading!

This doesn't answer the question of 'do you think it should be banned'

I think it's very easy to infer what my answer to that question is, but since you appear to need me to spell it out - no, of course it shouldn't be banned and it's a ludicrous idea to suggest otherwise.

Archived