Google Street used to plan 75% of burglaries.

That's no more or less likely than your friend saying the same thing in the pub is it!
Kind of an obvious point to make, but... This analogy (FB talk = pub talk) is eminently right BUT, on FB/social sites, it stays written there for however many to see, for a long time. Never ceases to amaze me, how dim people can be with reference to this particular issue.

I'm convinced thats why we got burgled ... combined with Google Streetview and Facebook they can easily build up a picture. To this day, I'm sure it was somebody who knew us ... they just knew too much for it to be a coincidence, exactly where to get the car keys to make off with the car etc!
So, am I to understand that you actually wrote where you keep your car keys on some social media online site?

Or are you trolling and I just fell for it? :confused:

The majority of burglars are using social media websites to help target victims and plan their crimes, a survey suggests.

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16077087

Were the original concerns correct and should street view now be banned?

The first part of the post serves only to point out what a survey reports. The second then seeks to find out what others might think. His personal view may well have become apparent by now had it progressed to a debate.

It's entirely material, if he wants to start a debate he should start it by explaining his opinion, not by posting leading questions then claiming that they were not meant to be leading!

I think it's very easy to infer what my answer to that question is, but since you appear to need me to spell it out - no, of course it shouldn't be banned and it's a ludicrous idea to suggest otherwise.

No, your post disagrees with his use of a particular word and then proceeds with what you consider to be a substitute word followed by some rash statement. The OP wasn't arguing only asking a question.

They don't encourage it. They just facilitate it sometimes, like stockings, or sledgehammers or crowbars or mobile phones.

You don't have an argument.

No, your post disagrees with his use of a particular word and then proceeds with what you consider to be a substitute word followed by some rash statement. The OP wasn't arguing only asking a question.

Facilitate and encourage have different meanings. You were aware of that weren't you?

Can you point out how you feel it was rash of me to say ''you don't have an argument''?

The whole raison d'etre of the Forum is that people use it to express views and that other people agree with or disagree with that view.

This is sometimes known as an argument.

Hope that helps.

It's entirely material, if he wants to start a debate he should start it by explaining his opinion, not by posting leading questions then claiming that they were not meant to be leading!

And if i were you I would template this as a quick scan will reveal that there's a lot of posts that ask questions without giving an opinion up front.

That's no more or less likely than your friend saying the same thing in the pub is it! It relies on 'Mike' knowing who you are and where you live, none of which is included in the example you gave.

I should have mentioned that Mike does know Lucy (as the way Sarah speaks of her to Mike implys that he does know her, he doesn't say "who's Lucy?") but even if he didn't, it doesn't take much to gather information about people you AREN'T frieands with on facebook, just by reading others' comments and walls. People just can't help but throw the info out there!

I'm just pointing out that no matter what your privacy settings are, it's still easy enough for people to monitor your life through facebook one way or another. You put the info out there and it filters out.

Google only tells people where you live not whether you're home or not. A low life burglar is usually opportunist anyway. For example if our car is outside our house does not necessarily mean we're in and conversely if it's not it doesn't necessarily mean we're both out so it that sense google is of no use

I think the issue Tony is trying to discuss is how would-be burglars can use Google maps and Streetview to plan the best approaches, entry and exit routes etc. Also I don't believe most burglaries are an opportunist crime, I think they are one of the more commonly pre-planned crimes.

Just as an afterthought, there may be some people who didn't know about Google maps/Streetview and have never thought about using it to plan burglaries until now. Should this thread be banned for "encouraging" it :o ?

EDIT: That was open to everyone, not aimed at Denlin

Facilitate and encourage have different meanings. You were aware of that weren't you?

Yes I'm also aware that encourage has more than one meaning

Can you point out how you feel it was rash of me to say ''you don't have an argument''?

His post only highlighted a survey that had nothing to do with him directly, it isn't a statement he issued against his own findings. He asked a question and sought points of view.

Hope that helps.

No but it's ok I'll get by thank you

So, am I to understand that you actually wrote where you keep your car keys on some social media online site?

Or are you trolling and I just fell for it? :confused:

Actually, there's another thing about Facebook. Photographic information.

Imagine this:

Lucy has a cat who sleeps at the foot of the stairs, he's a cute little thing with lots of funny little habits. Lucy puts up some photos of him (all in the same place).

Day 1: Cat asleep at bottom of stairs next to some shoes and a hand bag.

Day 2: Cat on his back pawing at a toy dangling above him, he's next to a scarf, some shoes and a handbag.

Day 3: Cat with head inside one of lucy's boots, he's knocked the other boot over. The handbag is there also knocked over. Car keys are clearly visible inside the bag.

The previous month, Lucy was posting about how much she loves her brand new Mercedes SLK, putting photos of that up too.

Actually, there's another thing about Facebook. Photographic information.

Imagine this:

Lucy has a cat who sleeps at the foot of the stairs, he's a cute little thing with lots of funny little habits. Lucy puts up some photos of him (all in the same place).

Day 1: Cat asleep at bottom of stairs next to some shoes and a hand bag.

Day 2: Cat on his back pawing at a toy dangling above him, he's next to a scarf, some shoes and a handbag.

Day 3: Cat with head inside one of lucy's boots, he's knocked the other boot over. The handbag is there also knocked over. Car keys are clearly visible inside the bag.

The previous month, Lucy was posting about how much she loves her brand new Mercedes SLK, putting photos of that up too.

your mate lucy sounds like an idiot

I should have mentioned that Mike does know Lucy (as the way Sarah speaks of her to Mike implys that he does know her, he doesn't say "who's Lucy?") but even if he didn't, it doesn't take much to gather information about people you AREN'T frieands with on facebook, just by reading others' comments and walls. People just can't help but throw the info out there!

I'm just pointing out that no matter what your privacy settings are, it's still easy enough for people to monitor your life through facebook one way or another. You put the info out there and it filters out.

I think the issue Tony is trying to discuss is how would-be burglars can use Google maps and Streetview to plan the best approaches, entry and exit routes etc. Also I don't believe most burglaries are an opportunist crime, I think they are one of the more commonly pre-planned crimes.

Just as an afterthought, there may be some people who didn't know about Google maps/Streetview and have never thought about using it to plan burglaries until now. Should this thread be banned for "encouraging" it :o ?

I'm afraid that the evidence, according to various police forces including the Met, and surveys conducted on burglars suggests that you are wrong.

Archived