Google Street used to plan 75% of burglaries.

I'm afraid that the evidence, according to various police forces including the Met, and surveys conducted on burglars suggests that you are wrong.

I suppose it depends on what they class as a burglary. If someone sees a phone on a windowsill with an open window and takes it and that is classed as burglary, then yes I guess the majority of burglaries are opportunist crimes.

The majority of burglars are using social media websites to help target victims and plan their crimes, a survey suggests.

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16077087

Were the original concerns correct and should street view now be banned?

The survey suggests ????

Who did they survey, the burglar?

Just another excuse to scare monger and put a black spot on a very professionally useful service. I use the little orange google man on a regular basis to check out customers I'm about to visit, to see where their telephone service is provided from (ground or pole) and generally how big the place is before I quote.

Can also check out parking availability too :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RootsBooster

Actually, there's another thing about Facebook. Photographic information.

Imagine this:

Lucy has a cat who sleeps at the foot of the stairs, he's a cute little thing with lots of funny little habits. Lucy puts up some photos of him (all in the same place).

Day 1: Cat asleep at bottom of stairs next to some shoes and a hand bag.

Day 2: Cat on his back pawing at a toy dangling above him, he's next to a scarf, some shoes and a handbag.

Day 3: Cat with head inside one of lucy's boots, he's knocked the other boot over. The handbag is there also knocked over. Car keys are clearly visible inside the bag.

The previous month, Lucy was posting about how much she loves her brand new Mercedes SLK, putting photos of that up too.

your mate lucy sounds like an idiot

LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by RootsBooster

Actually, there's another thing about Facebook. Photographic information.

Imagine this:

Lucy has a cat who sleeps at the foot of the stairs, he's a cute little thing with lots of funny little habits. Lucy puts up some photos of him (all in the same place).

Day 1: Cat asleep at bottom of stairs next to some shoes and a hand bag.

Day 2: Cat on his back pawing at a toy dangling above him, he's next to a scarf, some shoes and a handbag.

Day 3: Cat with head inside one of lucy's boots, he's knocked the other boot over. The handbag is there also knocked over. Car keys are clearly visible inside the bag.

The previous month, Lucy was posting about how much she loves her brand new Mercedes SLK, putting photos of that up too.

your mate lucy sounds like an idiot

LOL

You can LOL but some people really are as naive as Lucy.

Kind of an obvious point to make, but... This analogy (FB talk = pub talk) is eminently right BUT, on FB/social sites, it stays written there for however many to see, for a long time. Never ceases to amaze me, how dim people can be with reference to this particular issue.

The case of Paul Chambers makes this point only too well.

Archived