Google Street used to plan 75% of burglaries.

I also assume the majority of Farcebook users are not aware of all the customisation settings, where you can make everything you write private to only the people on your friends list, and also make your existence there private.

Am I right in thinking when you create a new FB account now it's clamped down tight from the start so you have to enable/open all the privacy settings by choice?

I can't see how it encourages..if a thief has gone to the trouble of checking out a location it's already within his mindset. A thief is a thief, he/she doesn't need encouragement. You can no more attribute a crime to looking at a picture than you can to a crowbar being used to force a door.

Photographs of houses on estate agents websites are more up to date.

Kind of an obvious point to make, but... This analogy (FB talk = pub talk) is eminently right BUT, on FB/social sites, it stays written there for however many to see, for a long time. Never ceases to amaze me, how dim people can be with reference to this particular issue.

Does an old post by one of your friends bitching about how you were going on holiday help a thief though? It's all getting a bit tenuous now. So assuming that your friends aren't thieves, it now relies on a friend telling someone else about your expensive items and your holiday plans and we're now worried about how that comment will then persist...

And if i were you I would template this as a quick scan will reveal that there's a lot of posts that ask questions without giving an opinion up front.

For someone who apparently wanted to get the topic back onto the issue that was raised, you're spending a lot of time analysing the posts of people who inferred an opinion from the way the OP worded the question and not a lot of time actually debating the issue.

I suppose it depends on what they class as a burglary. If someone sees a phone on a windowsill with an open window and takes it and that is classed as burglary, then yes I guess the majority of burglaries are opportunist crimes.

There's a legal definition, why don't we use that.

For someone who apparently wanted to get the topic back onto the issue that was raised, you're spending a lot of time analysing the posts of people who inferred an opinion from the way the OP worded the question and not a lot of time actually debating the issue.

:hihi::hihi: yeah right! Ok, especially for you then. I see no reason to close Facebook down. If people are foolish enough to give away information regarding there private lives and routines that's up to them but they need to realise that the internet is an open doorway for all.

I appear to have misunderstood the definition of opportunistic- from the link...

"How does a burglar's mind work?

Burglary, on the whole, is an opportunist crime. A burglar will select his target because it offers him the best opportunity to carry out his crime undetected and with the fewest number of obstacles in his way. A building that presents itself as unoccupied and insecure is far more likely to be targeted than one which is properly secured:"

I always thought of opportunistic as, see something unguarded & no-one's looking, take it. The definition above suggests a planned burglary is also opportunistic. Fair enough, in that case we were both right.

And one of her friends now steals her car. Won't be difficult to find will it.

Mike isn't Lucy's friend, he just knows her. There are many ways to get rid of a car without it being found.

There's a legal definition, why don't we use that.

Yes let's!

Archived