Google Street used to plan 75% of burglaries.

Does an old post by one of your friends bitching about how you were going on holiday help a thief though? It's all getting a bit tenuous now.
I don't really understand the 'friends-only' angle.

I'm not on FB (as a matter of principle ;)), but my Mrs is (however mostly inactive, as -like me- she'd rather enjoy a few pints/good night out with friends & family as often as possible, than 'virtual get-togethers').

On a couple of occasions, I have accessed FB via her page/portal and done what I can only describe as 'surfing' FB (to see what the fuss is all about), ending up on complete strangers' profiles.

So, I take it that it can't be that difficult to navigate your way "purposefully" on FB, without necessarily being a friend or somesuch.

I just don't understand this weird urge so many people seem to have, of committing what can only be 'passing thoughts' to the medium :huh:

Anyway,

and we're now worried about how that comment will then persist...
My point is that the information about the poster's period of absence is permanent (on FB...or even SF for that matter :D). Not ephemeral as it would be in a pub conversation. So, if someone is looking for that information -or even chances upon it, as I have per the above- they can and will find it.

Granted, it must be quite sophisticated burglars who resort to such practices. But then again, considering car security these days (which require careful planning from car thieves in order to get whatever's on order), it doesn't surprise me one bit. It does make it easy to target.

I appear to have misunderstood the definition of opportunistic- from the link...

"How does a burglar's mind work?

Burglary, on the whole, is an opportunist crime. A burglar will select his target because it offers him the best opportunity to carry out his crime undetected and with the fewest number of obstacles in his way. A building that presents itself as unoccupied and insecure is far more likely to be targeted than one which is properly secured:"

Doesn't this mean that they will go out with the intent to commit burglary, but that the target will be picked on an opportunistic basis when it's noticed.

I always thought of opportunistic as, see something unguarded & no-one's looking, take it.

I think it does, but that doesn't mean that you didn't set out with the intent to steal and cruised around looking for an easy target.

Mike isn't Lucy's friend, he just knows her. There are many ways to get rid of a car without it being found.

What the hell is she doing sharing information with someone who isn't a friend?

I don't really understand the 'friends-only' angle.

I'm not on FB (as a matter of principle ;)), but my Mrs is (however mostly inactive, as -like me- she'd rather enjoy a few pints/good night out with friends & family as often as possible, than 'virtual get-togethers').

I don't like to suggest that people aren't qualified to comment, but if you don't use it, maybe you aren't best qualified to comment on it...

The slightly condescending implication that people that use it use it instead of meeting people for real is well, just silly. One of it's key features is the ability to quickly and easily organise an event and invite a group of people. It's a damn site easier than texting, phoning or emailing them all.

On a couple of occasions, I have accessed FB via her page/portal and done what I can only describe as 'surfing' FB (to see what the fuss is all about), ending up on complete strangers' profiles.

Ones who choose not to restrict them to friends only.

So, I take it that it can't be that difficult to navigate your way "purposefully" on FB, without necessarily being a friend or somesuch.

If a profile is set to friends only then short of hacking the system it's impossible to navigate to it.

I just don't understand this weird urge so many people seem to have, of committing what can only be 'passing thoughts' to the medium :huh:

When in the pub in real life do you not mention passing thoughts to your friends?

Anyway,

My point is that the information about the poster's period of absence is permanent (on FB...or even SF for that matter :D). Not ephemeral as it would be in a pub conversation. So, if someone is looking for that information -or even chances upon it, as I have per the above- they can and will find it.

If it's exposed to the public yes, in which case I agree that the user is taking an unnecessary risk, but your lack of understanding of how it works leads you to over estimate the risk of that happening.

Granted, it must be quite sophisticated burglars who resort to such practices. But then again, considering car security these days (which require careful planning from car thieves in order to get whatever's on order), it doesn't surprise me one bit. It does make it easy to target.

The careful planning of trying doors until they find one that's open, and looking around the closest room for the keys... I think that's the most common form of car theft these days.

Thank the Lord for multi quote huh!

Nothing wrong with multi quoting

I just said, nothing wrong with multi quoting!

I multi quote, it's easier than typing a huge essay of guff to respond to a huge essay of guff.

Aren't you listening?!!! :hihi:

Nothing wrong with multi quoting

I just said, nothing wrong with multi quoting!

I multi quote, it's easier than typing a huge essay of guff to respond to a huge essay of guff.

Aren't you listening?!!! :hihi:

Yes sorry, I slipped into a coma momentarily ;)

Doesn't this mean that they will go out with the intent to commit burglary, but that the target will be picked on an opportunistic basis when it's noticed.

I don't know. Going out with the intent, and SELECTING a house which offers him the best opportunity to carry out his crime undetected and with the fewest number of obstacles in his way, seems to qualify to me as at least a tiny bit of planning. It's looking like a bit of both.

I think it does, but that doesn't mean that you didn't set out with the intent to steal and cruised around looking for an easy target.

Which, again, seems to me like a little bit of planning. Setting out with the intent to burgle = planning to burgle, no?

What the hell is she doing sharing information with someone who isn't a friend?

She isn't, read post #31 again. She's shared the information with her friends, one of which is Sarah. Sarah has naively relayed the information to Mike in general conversation. Mike rubs his hands together and cackles to himself.

Archived