Google Street used to plan 75% of burglaries.

After reading this thread, I decided I'd like my house removed from Google maps, just because I'm paranoid that way. Hmmmm. They don't really remove it, what they do is blur it. AND only the house! The rest of the property, including the front walk, side gate and yard, cars and driveway are all still clearly visible. Even the mailbox. You can easily make out the outline of the house so it's really hiding very little. I would think this would only be a benefit if someone were naked in the front room, with the curtains drawn, mooning the camera. Also, it's not blurred from above and can still be clearly zoomed in on. I'm sure according to their lawyers, this is just enough to satisfy the letter of the law and no more. Thanks Google! :rolleyes:

And if I were a professional thief, this would definitely make my life easier.

I don't know. Going out with the intent, and SELECTING a house which offers him the best opportunity to carry out his crime undetected and with the fewest number of obstacles in his way, seems to qualify to me as at least a tiny bit of planning. It's looking like a bit of both.

Which, again, seems to me like a little bit of planning. Setting out with the intent to burgle = planning to burgle, no?

She isn't, read post #31 again. She's shared the information with her friends, one of which is Sarah. Sarah has naively relayed the information to Mike in general conversation. Mike rubs his hands together and cackles to himself.

You've just described something that could as easily happen in general conversation as on facebook though.

I don't like to suggest that people aren't qualified to comment, but if you don't use it, maybe you aren't best qualified to comment on it...
I use StreetView and SF aplenty, does that count?

I'll have another side order of condescending with that, please :thumbsup:

Ones who choose not to restrict them to friends only.
Seems to be an awful lot of them still, then. In my (admittedly limited :P) experience.

When in the pub in real life do you not mention passing thoughts to your friends?
Not really :huh: At any rate, certainly not the kind of "passing thoughts" I have seen posted and was referring to. Kind of depends on age and social circumstances, I suppose.

If it's exposed to the public yes, in which case I agree that the user is taking an unnecessary risk,
Well, there we are. So what's your beef :huh:

but your lack of understanding of how it works leads you to over estimate the risk of that happening.
I'm not. The survey is.

I am looking at it from a purely functional and dispassionate stance, as a repository of (mostly) publicly-accessible information. Common sense still applies in the virtual world, the same as it does in the real world: what you don't say, cannot be misused against you by unscrupulous eavesdroppers. Especially if what you 'say' (show/type) just stays there to be seen/read at any later moment in time, until it's deleted or archived.

A simple enough point, I'd have thought :huh:

After reading this thread, I decided I'd like my house removed from Google maps, just because I'm paranoid that way. Hmmmm. They don't really remove it, what they do is blur it.

I would advise putting some kind of anti google maps slogan on your roof or back garden so next time they update you can stick it to the man and show they what you really feel!

Archived