Help Me Save a Building from being Demolished in the City Centre

People will be doing this about the buildings put up now in 100 years. Nobody wants to get old and die, they don't like change.

I doupt it, most buildings these days are cheep and nasty with no sense of permanece at all. Those "buildings" that I suppose are part of the university at Brook Hill roundabout are an absolute disgrace, and dont get me started on those "modern" looking carparks on Eyre Street and Arundel Gate.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=sheffield&hl=en&ll=53.375892,-1.471546&spn=0.000013,0.013229&sll=53.274863,-1.210556&sspn=0.114967,0.423317&vpsrc=6&hnear=Sheffield,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.37599,-1.471456&panoid=MLkYnR4K-TpJBH6UVNeoOw&cbp=12,257.29,,0,-15.48

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=sheffield&hl=en&ll=53.377997,-1.4694&spn=0.000013,0.013229&sll=53.274863,-1.210556&sspn=0.114967,0.423317&vpsrc=6&hnear=Sheffield,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.378074,-1.469294&panoid=-WiCfw_VZtvcGm-miFCLPg&cbp=12,11.78,,0,-14.09

I don't care about the building. There's nothing special about it. No explanation really necessary.

And I didn't say "because" it's only a building. It was an entirely different sentence, as you can see.

And what's wrong with that? Are you saying that things need to be kept just because they are old?

Times move on, people need to stop living in the past.

So in that case we should never ever knock any building down. Everything that is ever built should stay in place forever so that you can remember it.

I'm not sure why people can't remember the building by looking at pictures. It doesn't have a negative effect on your life if it is knocked down and there is no real viable reason why it 'needs' to be kept.

Time is not a valid reason either. Perhaps the Berlin wall should have been kept up for people to remember?

Sheffield really is an awful looking city, and part of it is to do with keeping terrible buildings Standing. Out with the old, in with the new.

I don't really get this whole part of history point. What does it really matter?

I'm not saying we should knock down buildinds just for the sake of it, but at the same time buildings shouldn't be kept just because they are old or 'part of history'. By building new buildings, we are creating a new history.

This isn't the 60's though is it. Wind your neck in and get yourself back into present times.

People of course dont want every building that was ever built to stay in place, just the ones that are good examples of certern historic periods. They are monuments to Britains/Sheffields heritage, and its important they are preserved.

People of course dont want every building that was ever built to stay in place, just the ones that are good examples of certern historic periods. They are monuments to Britains/Sheffields heritage, and its important they are preserved.

Good examples according to whom? You?

Important to whom? You?

So someone who doesn't 'appreciate' this awful building is an ignoramus?

Oh dear.

I wouldn't quite put it like that, but your general blaze attitude of "out with the old in with the new" regardless of what historical or cultural significance particular buildings may have, makes you come across as an ignoramus.

By building new buildings, we are creating a new history.

Not if we knock them down 20 or so yrs later ie fire station and egg box as two examples. I remember Prince Charles referring to the building at the bottom of Barkers Pool as a carbunkle, when he visited Sheffield around the time that it had been built. Like I have already stated, Leeds has many "old" buildings and that city doesn't seem to do bad, when Sheffield is supposed to be bigger than Leeds albeit less population than Leeds.