Help Me Save a Building from being Demolished in the City Centre

Sheffield really is an awful looking city, and part of it is to do with keeping terrible buildings Standing.

No. It's because when new buildings were built they were not built to stand the test of time ie fashion. The architects of the day didn't take into account what they would look like in 20yrs or more's time and whether they would still look "with it". When a building is built, the main thought should be is how will it look in decade or three's time and will it still look modern. Old buildings pre war were built with charachter and ok not all should be preserved for the sake of it, but in Sheffield's case, we have very few old buildings left so it is more important to cherish the ones that we still have.

Imagine Westminster with no history and everything "new" - a definate non-tourist attraction!!!

Westminster is an international tourist attraction, where as some pokey old crap-house in Sheffield has no place in modern britain. There is a pecking order in everything, and it cant be said that such an old delapitated building could in any way be likened to the beautiful buildings that London has to offer

Oh, i forgot... the beautiful old co-op building with it's spiral staircase, at the bottom of Cemetary Rd and Ecclesall Rd, which is now a supermarket, was found to be "listed" AFTER it was bulldozed. Too late by then! Any more that people can think of?

Edited by Joe9T

Oh, i forgot... the beautiful old co-op building with it's spiral staircase, at the bottom of Cemetery Rd and Ecclesall Rd, which is now a supermarket, was found to be "listed" AFTER it was bulldozed. Too late by then! Any more that people can think of?

The Co Op building with the spiral staircase is at the top of King St and is "listed".

Have a walk in you will be amazed.

The Co Op building with the spiral staircase is at the top of King St and is "listed".

Have a walk in you will be amazed.

NOOOO you forget. Unless you have only lived in Sheffield for a short while. There was a lovely old building at the bottom of Cemetary Rd with London Rd and Ecclesall Rd. It had an "arcade", where you could walk through from Cemetary Rd to Eccesall Rd and it had a wonderful spiral staircase. On one of the floors it had a toy dept and esp. at Christmas, it was very special for kids with Father Christmas too. I believe it also had a Post Office on the third floor and also a function room.It also had a small cafe. This area is now Waitrose!!!

http://shimmer.shu.ac.uk/luna/servlet/detail/SHU~3~3~507063~150273:Sheffield-&-Ecclesall-Co-op?qvq=w4s:/where/Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire/when/1913;lc:SHU~3~3,SHU~10~10,SHU~13~13&mi=4&trs=31

Sheffield & Ecclesall Co-op

Description:

Exterior view. Facade facing Ecclesall Road. (1985)

The store was extended (c.1939) but then demolished in 1989 and the entire Moorfoot site replaced by a Safeways (now Waitrose) Supermarket and carparks. Built 1913... demolished 1989

Edited by Joe9T

RE: Sheffield & Ecclesall Co-Op, Ecclesall Road, Sheffield demolished 1989 :(

"The Council's insistence that a row of large ornate fruit vases be saved from demolition and used in the new development was met by the developers.

A contributor to The Sheffield Forum noted in June 2008

".... the three giant polychrome faience rosettes that toped the columns on the building. They were on display in the entranceway to the supermarket when it was a Safeway, then disappeared during the changeover to Waitrose"

I have made a few enquiries but have not been able to locate the whereabouts of the ornaments. Given the nature of the company involved, I fear the worst has happened."

I would love to know where the row of large ornate fruit vases and where the three giant polychrome faience rosettes that toped the columns on the building are?

The Council did insist at the time that they (the row of large ornate fruit vases), would be preserved. I wonder if they still have?

Edited by Joe9T