Help Me Save a Building from being Demolished in the City Centre

Didn't they use this technique at the top of Fargate and at some locations along West Street near the junction with Mappin Street? xxx

Carmel House, aka H&M/HSBC on Fargate I think is at least one you are refering to. Quite fine they look too. It's often the outdated insides that make these buildings undesirable to investors - keeping the front but rebuilding the insides is often a good comrpomise.

As you seem to have a pasion for saving this building why don't you stump up some cash, buy it and keep it in a fit state of repair.

The thing is the people who own the building have a duty of care to maintain the building. The building really belongs to the people of Sheffield.

The thing is the people who own the building have a duty of care to maintain the building. The building really belongs to the people of Sheffield.

Belongs to the people of Sheffield, Mmmm not quite sure about that one. What you mean by that is in the world of Mr Sheffield the building should belong to the people of Sheffield, nothing stopping you doing a good deed buying the building.

While the current owners may have a duty to maintain the building, clearly they can't afford as you say ( or maybe are unwilling ) to keep it in a good state of repair.

And to be honest i don't see what all the fuss is. Had a look at it via Google Streetview, it's not really all that special of a building. Looks very average and some what unappealing to me.

Edited by speedbirdone

The demolition of this building will be a great loss to the city centre, and I'm sure whatever replaces it won't have anything like the character of what it has replaced.

Be interested to know what is planned for this site, if anyone knows.

My goodness, I agree with one of your posts, (looks for defibrillator smiley:hihi:).

At the end of the day, if someone wants it down, wether it's listed or not it will come down. Usually large sums of money are at stake and, even if the building is listed it stands empty until a mystery fire destroys it. I've seen it before. :mad:

Too true. Perhaps that is why Park Hill is still standing... a little fire break-out might drop some lovely small listed buildings; but suspicions would probably be quite high (and rightly so) if a huge amount of semtex happened to randomly be distributed throughout the complex and happened to be detonated simultaneously - which is pretty much the only thing that will drop it.

Very good point. In the 60s and 70s the city looked modern and futuristic, but by the late 80s and early 90s it looked like a concrete monstrosity.

Classic buildings have timeless style and character.

In so many cases I agree.

But old and new can work together - just look at Withy Grove by the Printworks in Manchester. Or Liverpool Pier Head.

Yep, or Canal Basin, or Leopold Square, or Fargate, West St, Division St, Devonshire Street, or much of Neepsend etc.

-

The link for signing doesn't work. Perhaps the host site caught fire or something, can you re-post it please?

Out of interest, have you guys ever been to the Yorvik Viking Centre in York?

That attraction brings in thousands of pounds of tourist revenue to the city every year, and the whole premise is based upon what was once there but can no longer be seen, rather than something along the lines of Conisburgh Castle et al.

Just a thought...

xxx

I doubt anyone goes to York just to visit the Yorkik Centre though, it's just one of several tourist attractions, if York only had the Yorvik Centre do you think it would get the same number of tourists ?

Dont you just love people who go around getting buildings listed to stand in the way of progress and regeneration? :rolleyes:
Mmmmh Park Hill
As for the demolition, I don't think that it has a lot going for it, it ain't Coles Corner, the Empire, Grand Hotel or the Hippodrome.
All of which remain in use today and are a fine example of Sheffield. We should be thankful they were preserved and not demolished post-war. Edited by Captain_Scarlet

It sits next to the Castle Market, which is scheduled for demolition. Like the Market it sits on part of the site of Sheffield Castle, and there is a plan once the Market's gone to open up the site and expose the substantial castle remains, as a public open space.
Hambleton House is not on the site of Sheffield Castle, it is East of the River Sheaf which runs along the back of the building in a culvert. Its neighbour used to be the Alexandra Theatre.

It sits next to the Castle Market, which is scheduled for demolition. Like the Market it sits on part of the site of Sheffield Castle, and there is a plan once the Market's gone to open up the site and expose the substantial castle remains, as a public open space.

There are no substantial remains .

The history is in the area that has always been the trading area of Sheffield.

The historians in this town should hang there heads in shame at there disgraceful ignorance of Sheffield's origins.

Hi all, a planning application has gone in to demolish Hambleton House (Former SYPTE)on Exchange Street. This is such a great building and it would be a crime to see it demolished. I'm currently trying to get it listed I just need some historical and architectural info on the building then so I can submit it for a possible listing.

Here is a pic of it, although it's a old pic.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd49/maddmaxx500/Sheffield/Crime.jpg

Been there got the T shirt but it will not make the slightest difference matey, the so called Town Planners are not Sheffielders and have no idea what makes this Town tick.

But i am with you 100% .