Air Flow meter problems corsa cdti..

Hi all

I have a problem (I think!), with the AFM on my corsa.

The car suddenly seems to lose power and takes a while to 'get going' when setting off. I don't usually stall it but it is stalling more frequently and I have lost about 80 miles per half tank. It recently had a new fuel, oil and air filter and new oil as we thought it just needed servicing (was slightly overdue anyway), but to no avail.

I have found a AFM for £60 on eBay 2nd hand, over £100 new. Is it a job any mechanically minded person used to tinkering with cars could do or does it need a pro. If so how much labour are we talking?

Also the car needs a new flywheel (dual mass) and clutch but that's a whole other problem and we may have a guy for that once we can afford the parts.

Finally.... it needs a new wiper motor as although they work they stop wherever they are when I turn them off....

If you can help please PM or if you have experienced problems with the same/similar car. Thanks.

What I'm trying to say is that very often people will try and save a few quid by asking others' (amateur) opinions and end up buying an expensive part, only to find out that wasn't the problem. Then you're back at square 1.

The other thing some people do is look on owner's forums and try and judge from the posts what might be the problem, this can sometimes be helpful, sometimes misleading.

You might be better off asking a few garages (with good reputations) how much they would charge to diagnose it.

Also, when it comes to electronic sensors, I wouldn't recommend buying second hand.

What I'm trying to say is that very often people will try and save a few quid by asking others' (amateur) opinions and end up buying an expensive part, only to find out that wasn't the problem. Then you're back at square 1.

The other thing some people do is look on owner's forums and try and judge from the posts what might be the problem, this can sometimes be helpful, sometimes misleading.

You might be better off asking a few garages (with good reputations) how much they would charge to diagnose it.

Also, when it comes to electronic sensors, I wouldn't recommend buying second hand.

No sorry I wasnt clear, I have had a mechanic look at it briefly earlier but not a proper check as it needs booking in but it sounds as if that is deffo the problem?

Hi all

I have a problem (I think!), with the AFM on my corsa.

The car suddenly seems to lose power and takes a while to 'get going' when setting off. I don't usually stall it but it is stalling more frequently and I have lost about 80 miles per half tank. It recently had a new fuel, oil and air filter and new oil as we thought it just needed servicing (was slightly overdue anyway), but to no avail.

I have found a AFM for £60 on eBay 2nd hand, over £100 new. Is it a job any mechanically minded person used to tinkering with cars could do or does it need a pro. If so how much labour are we talking?

Also the car needs a new flywheel (dual mass) and clutch but that's a whole other problem and we may have a guy for that once we can afford the parts.

Finally.... it needs a new wiper motor as although they work they stop wherever they are when I turn them off....

If you can help please PM or if you have experienced problems with the same/similar car. Thanks.

The stalling could be due to the faulty flywheel...changing an AFM should be a simple unplug/unbolt and replace job..have you tried cleaning it? If yopu disconnect it are the symptoms the same?

Archived