Good crossword app for iPad2?

Spikie

Someone suggested 'Crossword' so I downloaded the free version as a trial. But it is really American to the extent that words are spelled... wrong, and a lot of the clues are based upon US programs/people/places that I have no knowledge of (as in, I see the answer, Google the person, and they are some presenter on a US only channel).

I'd love a selection of British crosswords, from the Sun to the Guardian :)

Any ideas?

To be honest, I'd be surprised if you could get a decent crossword app. (I presume you're talking about cryptic ones here?)

I remember several years ago, many people writing to the daily Telegraph saying they couldn't understand the clues anymore. The reason, it transpired was because the telegraph had started using a computer to create the puzzles instead of a human. A computer can't be programmed to set the clues like a human, and hence people found it almost impossible to fathom (including myself).

People work out how a compilers mind works and the clues become self explanatory. If an app was created, although it may not be set by a computer, there'd be puzzles from so many different people that it'd be confusing.

One of my favourite clues ever was an old 'Times' skeleton puzzle where the clue was 'Water?' ... the answer being 'H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O' (H2O). A computer could never set this.

To be honest, and I hate to admit it, the Daily Mail cryptic is very good (unlike the rest of the rag). I'm a bit rusty with the daily Telegraph now but can do it if given enough time. The Sunday Times cryptic is the classic though and Sundays wouldn't be Sundays without it!

Archived