0709 Dialling code changeover?

Oh, and the Sheffield dialling code is not '01142' and never has been- despite computers believing so.

I rang a company recently to update a friend's information on their database (she's ill and has no voice, so she gave me all their passwords etc to be able to do this) and their computer simply wouldn't accept a number which started with 0114 3, which is handy for my friend, since that's what her phone number starts with.

You'd think that company databases would use real dialling codes, wouldn't you? I wonder if the same affects everybody in Leeds, Nottingham and all the other places that changed to 011something codes?

I rang a company recently to update a friend's information on their database (she's ill and has no voice, so she gave me all their passwords etc to be able to do this) and their computer simply wouldn't accept a number which started with 0114 3, which is handy for my friend, since that's what her phone number starts with.

Good! It serves 'em right.

You'd think that company databases would use real dialling codes, wouldn't you? I wonder if the same affects everybody in Leeds, Nottingham and all the other places that changed to 011something codes?

Besides us, the sequence runs:

Leeds 0113

Nottingham 0115

Leicester 0116

Bristol 0117

Reading 0118

A good party quiz question is "What's next in this sequence: Nottingham, Leicester, Bristol...?"

Archived