The Local odd bod

meggymoo

Dunno.But your post led me to recall Norma, an old woman afflicted by madness, dressed in long black clothes, standing at the bus station, looking ghostly, in the 1970s.

As well as the Sheffield cowboy who used to wave toy pistols about,and near us on the manor as kids I used to see a mad guy who would smash his own windows at times.

Today, the bible eccentric Jamaican lady downtown is a true character.

I remember Nora, from when I used to catch the school bus in Pond St in the 60's. She was strange then, so if she had a child in the 70's it wasn't that which caused her illness. Both my parents worked at Middlewood Hospital, and sadly, there were many people there just like Nora, and also Cyril, who I remember sitting in the waiting room in Pond Street. I would think that the main occupancy of the Hospital at some time or other, consisted of women who had children out of wedlock, shell shock victims, and people who these days are simply regarded as having 'special needs'. I know some patients suffered from serious mental illnesses, but few people were aware of the relatively simple troubles which could cause folks to be institutionalised.

Archived