Do you think Black History Month is a tad racist?

I dont see anything wrong having a black history month. Overall they've had a worse deal than any other race throughout history.

Until around 45 years ago the only thing that black actors played in movies were butlers and maids.

They deserve recognition for the many other things they've contributed.

I dont see anything wrong having a black history month. Overall they've had a worse deal than any other race throughout history.

Until around 45 years ago the only thing that black actors played in movies were butlers and maids.

True, we have achieved more than others, but don't you think other races also deserve recognition for their achievements? maybe not a full month as it should be comparable but say a few weeks here and there for all the other races?

is that not contributing to the social divide, an Us and Them type situation?. Just celebrate the arts and history in general.

Black history month is not a race issue believe it or not the two things "black history" and "race' are two very different things in this instance.

Black history is actually very rich and imperatively important because many people actually believe that black people started as slaves when in fact that period in history reflects a very small limiting view of black people who were previous to slavery very innovative powerful intellectual and pioneers of lots of sciences and arts and have been since and continue to be. Black history month is not a case of favouritism over race or a racial issue nor a regurgatation of the slave trade story but a much needed informative narrative on BLACK HISTORY in its overall summarised entirety and nothing to do with race issues.

first I heard of any 'black history month'. I lived in Africa at one time too. Never head of it.

African history is highly disputed in any case, mostly between the various tribes that have been trying to at least severely inconvenience, if not outright kill, their rivals for centuries. Now we see them doing it in these quite modern looking buildings designed by European and American architects.

True, we have achieved more than others, but don't you think other races also deserve recognition for their achievements? maybe not a full month as it should be comparable but say a few weeks here and there for all the other races?

Okay by me. America has become what it is through the hard work and efforts of many different races.

is that not contributing to the social divide, an Us and Them type situation?. Just celebrate the arts and history in general.

I dont see anything divisive about it. I've seen black people wearing green during St Patricks Day parades and white people wearing Koby Bryant basketball shirts with equal enthusiasm.

I dont think there's any going back to social divides. The boundary has already been crossed a few decades ago.

Archived