Do you think Black History Month is a tad racist?

I dont see anything wrong having a black history month. Overall they've had a worse deal than any other race throughout history.

Until around 45 years ago the only thing that black actors played in movies were butlers and maids.

They deserve recognition for the many other things they've contributed.

This really isn't true - Ok, in the 30's and perhaps into the 40's there were many maid/servant/slave roles which black actors took - but you are obviously unfamiliar with the work of directors such as Oscar Micheaux who worked with largely black casts even in 1920... Or perhaps one of the more famous black actors Sidney Poitier who was working in films from the late 1940's, and landing roles where he was a doctor, or a senior police officer or teacher consistently...

Im not.

Yes you were, twice.

Sure i could google it but i wont.

Oh, I know you won't!

1. You don't actually want to discover anything

2. It would take up time you'd far rather spend trolling

(I know you'll come back with some fake outrage about being accused of trolling - it's what you trolls do - but you denied being sarcastic when you were given two examples of where you did it and you clearly don't wish to learn anything or contribute anything constructive, so trolling it is. :) )

I saw a child playing with a golliwog in its pram today, the child was around 8 months old and was clearly hitting/patting the golliwog.

A future leader of the BNP ?

No, a child playing with a doll.

Children need to be taught to hate.

I'm singing to the choir if I address this to you, BF - It's your parents and some of my friends I'm talking about. If you want a 'Black History Month' (and I certainly don't object) please don't forget the Afro-Caribbeans who came to this country during the 1950s, dug it out of a hole and were (by and large) treated shabbily.

No problem Rupert. I don't want a black history month, I'm only contributing to a thread about it started by others.

Do I think it's racist? No, because it doesn't have any reason to exclude non blacks from participating. Which I think was the question being asked.

With regard to the blacks who were invited here in the 50's, yes that's all part of it but that's very modern history in the scheme of things.

My gran was born in 1915 and she's still alive so is a valuable source of living history. But that's only part of the story.

Many people (black & white) don't have an appreciation of the relationship between West Africans and Caribbeans, the former of whom many West Indian still blame for selling them into slavery (as MrFloppy alluded to in an attempt to deride this campaign), but it's still very important knowledge to have, just as the ancient history of Africa is, after all there's much we can probably learn about a civilisation that existed for a lot longer than our own, yet failed in the final analysis. Discussion of contemporary history isn't possible without consideration of how it came about.

Yeah, lets not forget that slavery is an african invention.

Not very pc to say that i know but damn its accurate.

Is it? The business of capturing and trading enslaved people was also a fundamental part of human society throughout recorded history.

Slavery existed in the great civilizations of ancient Greece, Rome, Egypt, China, and even among the Inca and Aztec worlds. Africans certainly colluded in the Atlantic slave trade and were slave dealers, I don't see that anyone is disputing that.

No problem Rupert. I don't want a black history month, I'm only contributing to a thread about it started by others.

Do I think it's racist? No, because it doesn't have any reason to exclude non blacks from participating. Which I think was the question being asked.

With regard to the blacks who were invited here in the 50's, yes that's all part of it but that's very modern history in the scheme of things.

My gran was born in 1915 and she's still alive so is a valuable source of living history. But that's only part of the story.

Many people (black & white) don't have an appreciation of the relationship between West Africans and Caribbeans, the former of whom many West Indian still blame for selling them into slavery (as MrFloppy alluded to in an attempt to deride this campaign), but it's still very important knowledge to have, just as the ancient history of Africa is, after all there's much we can probably learn about a civilisation that existed for a lot longer than our own, yet failed in the final analysis. Discussion of contemporary history isn't possible without consideration of how it came about.

I support Black History month, I wish that there were a Women's History month too! However, the rest of the above I do agree with. Promoting black history may also dispel the myth (which Mr Floppy clumsily attempted to do as you point out) that blacks are a homogenous entity all of whom feel some kind of ethnic solidarity to one another. Tribal and African country conflict are not just contemporary but date back throughout time.

Archived