Do you think Black History Month is a tad racist?

I support Black History month, I wish that there were a Women's History month too! However, the rest of the above I do agree with. Promoting black history may also dispel the myth (which Mr Floppy clumsily attempted to do as you point out) that blacks are a homogenous entity all of whom feel some kind of ethnic solidarity to one another. Tribal and African country conflict are not just contemporary but date back throughout time.

If the gross generalisations made by white people about black people and peddled to a mostly white audience (such as most internet fora) were made about white people, one could expect uproar.

Whilst black people have achieved far more in recent history than any other race, should we have a full official month to dedicated to our achievements and not take into account other races?

Could you clarify whether BHM is about history or achievements? They are very different things.

Yeah, lets not forget that slavery is an african invention.

Not very pc to say that i know but damn its accurate.

Slavery is an African invention? I don't think so and as far as I know slavery has been pretty well universal across the globe in the past.

Human kind is most likely an African invention, or more accurately we evolved in Africa and spread out across the world from there.

No problem Rupert. I don't want a black history month, I'm only contributing to a thread about it started by others.

Do I think it's racist? No, because it doesn't have any reason to exclude non blacks from participating. Which I think was the question being asked.

With regard to the blacks who were invited here in the 50's, yes that's all part of it but that's very modern history in the scheme of things.

My gran was born in 1915 and she's still alive so is a valuable source of living history. But that's only part of the story.

Many people (black & white) don't have an appreciation of the relationship between West Africans and Caribbeans, the former of whom many West Indian still blame for selling them into slavery (as MrFloppy alluded to in an attempt to deride this campaign), but it's still very important knowledge to have, just as the ancient history of Africa is, after all there's much we can probably learn about a civilisation that existed for a lot longer than our own, yet failed in the final analysis. Discussion of contemporary history isn't possible without consideration of how it came about.

Your Gran is 2 years older than my Dad would've been if he was alive today. - I do hope you are going to write down her story.

I take your point about adopting an holistic approach to history, but if nobody makes a fuss about your Gran's and your Dad's story, they will be lost. They might be comparatively 'new' history, but they are very important.

I have a friend in Norfolk (where I used to live) who is now in his 80's. He told me (in a quite matter-of-fact manner how he was treated when he first came to the UK (and for some years afterwards) and I was horrified. His story - and those of hid fellow immigrants - will probably be lost.

Those stories are (IMO) a critical part of 'Black History'

It's also American Heart Month, International Boost Self-Esteem Month, International Embroidery Month, Library Lovers Month, National Cherry Month, National Children’s Dental Health Month, National Snack Food Month and Return Shopping Carts to the Supermarket Month.

At least in the USA where BHM originated. My source is the Wikipedia article which is well worth a read :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_History_Month

They need a National Snack Food Month?? :shocked:

Your Gran is 2 years older than my Dad would've been if he was alive today. - I do hope you are going to write down her story.

I take your point about adopting an holistic approach to history, but if nobody makes a fuss about your Gran's and your Dad's story, they will be lost. They might be comparatively 'new' history, but they are very important.

I have a friend in Norfolk (where I used to live) who is now in his 80's. He told me (in a quite matter-of-fact manner how he was treated when he first came to the UK (and for some years afterwards) and I was horrified. His story - and those of hid fellow immigrants - will probably be lost.

Those stories are (IMO) a critical part of 'Black History'

My mother had some horrible experiences here in the UK from the 60s to the present day, obviously things have vastly improved over the years. I also had some unpleasant experiences growing up and a fair amount of racial abuse. I hope that they won't be lost, I've already imparted some of these stories to my kids who cannot believe it.

It's also American Heart Month, International Boost Self-Esteem Month, International Embroidery Month, Library Lovers Month, National Cherry Month, National Children’s Dental Health Month, National Snack Food Month and Return Shopping Carts to the Supermarket Month.

Drat those pert little, dark red, fruity balls swaying in the breeze. Why can't white people be up a tree, getting pecked by birds? It's very unfair and a tad racist, that is.

Archived