Do you think Black History Month is a tad racist?

Slavery is an African invention? I don't think so and as far as I know slavery has been pretty well universal across the globe in the past.

Human kind is most likely an African invention, or more accurately we evolved in Africa and spread out across the world from there.

funny how it was the white british were the first to abolish it though isn't it:D

I wonder if that will get a mention in black history month

We already study white history in great detail, however as Mecky's previous contribution illustrates encouraging people to study the past of the people who live around them can hardly be a bad thing can it-it could be a great learning experience.

I remember when I was at school the only blacks we encountered in history lessons were slaves or semi naked Africans with plates through their bottom lips, I think some people believe that's about the extent of it.

White people have a lot to answer for in placing labels on people eg; 'The Black and Asian Police Association' comes to mind, I don't believe that any black or Asian person thought that one up.

funny how it was the white british who were the first to abolish it though isn't it

I wonder if that will get a mention in black history month:)

I was originally ambivalent about 'black history month' but the more I follow this thread the more it demonstrates how valuable such an event is.

William Wilberforce, the (white) abolitionist from Hull is a hero in black culture.

There's even a private university in America named after him which was historically black.

http://www.wilberforce.edu/home/home.html

White people have a lot to answer for in placing labels on people eg; 'The Black and Asian Police Association' comes to mind, I don't believe that any black or Asian person thought that one up.

You ain't seen nothing yet crookesey..how about the Metropolitan Police Emerald Society?

http://www.mpsemeralds.org.uk/

Your Gran is 2 years older than my Dad would've been if he was alive today. - I do hope you are going to write down her story. I take your point about adopting an holistic approach to history, but if nobody makes a fuss about your Gran's and your Dad's story, they will be lost. They might be comparatively 'new' history, but they are very important.

That is salutary advice, she's been unwell and in hospital for the last 3 weeks, thankfully she's fast recovering, but the realisation of her mortality has shook me up and I'm encouraging my kids to make the most of the time they have left with her. She's a walking, talking history book as Im sure your father was, people like these are a valuable connection to our past and who we are, they can also impart much to people who are not part of their own culture.

If that is what someone identifies with, I can't see a problem. Anyone with different heritages in their background has that option. It isn't all about skin colour; culture and tradition are important to some people too.

I think most of the people on this thread who claim to be black are what you now call mixed race,who probably have more white in them than black,so why do they identify with black and not white?:suspect:

A recent US TV show on tracing the ancestry of various people using DNA showed a light skinned ***** women who turned out to be 75% white (she looked shocked) and a white looking woman who claimed to be an American “Indian” (Native American) refused to take the DNA test probably because it would reveal how little Indian, if any, she was.

Archived