Do you think Black History Month is a tad racist?

I think most of the people on this thread who claim to be black are what you now call mixed race,who probably have more white in them than black,so why do they identify with black and not white?:suspect:

My kids are half Scottish, and even though I'm no longer married to their mother, it doesn't stop me helping them have an appreciation of Scottish culture and where a large number of their family come from.

No, we don't do Burns Night, but I would if they wanted to although I actively encourage their exploration of this part of who they are. Are they black? Mixed race? English, Scottish? Yorkshiremen? Probably a combination of all and not identifying exclusively with one.

I think most of the people on this thread who claim to be black are what you now call mixed race,who probably have more white in them than black,so why do they identify with black and not white?:suspect:

There would be little point in choosing to identify as white when society would identify you as non-white.

You really don't know? :|

It's 'just a doll' to a small child. A small child will has no idea of the malicious connotations surrounding the caricature.

Caricature perhaps, but hardly malicious.

It was a portrayal which, at the time it was introduced, had no malice whatsoever. People did not then appreciate that society's views would soon evolve, so their actions in introducing a goliwog doll may have been misguided, naive, or without appropriate consideration, but they were quite normal for the time and to call it 'malicious' is drama-queening at the very least.

Archived