Do you think Black History Month is a tad racist?

Caricature perhaps, but hardly malicious.

It was a portrayal which, at the time it was introduced, had no malice whatsoever. People did not then appreciate that society's views would soon evolve, so their actions in introducing a goliwog doll may have been misguided, naive, or without appropriate consideration, but they were quite normal for the time and to call it 'malicious' is drama-queening at the very least.

You're entirely incorrect. I suggest you investigate further.

Caricature perhaps, but hardly malicious.

It was a portrayal which, at the time it was introduced, had no malice whatsoever. People did not then appreciate that society's views would soon evolve, so their actions in introducing a goliwog doll may have been misguided, naive, or without appropriate consideration, but they were quite normal for the time and to call it 'malicious' is drama-queening at the very least.

There were also the racists who used poor golly symbolically to persecute a group of people.

Have a look at "Winston" being sacrificed and bear in mind this is the 21st Century ;)

Enlighten me, oh font of anti-racism knowledge.

Anti-racism is a positive thing, oh sarcastic one. I've posted a link before on a similar thread some time before. The historical use is very easy to find online. as I said, I suggest you investigate further.

I was originally ambivalent about 'black history month' but the more I follow this thread the more it demonstrates how valuable such an event is.

William Wilberforce, the (white) abolitionist from Hull is a hero in black culture.

There's even a private university in America named after him which was historically black.

http://www.wilberforce.edu/home/home.html

William Wilberforce is the most famous ex-pupil of the school I attended. One of the houses was named after him and more recently the Archbishop o' York unveiled a statue of him in the front courtyard. :)

funny how it was the white british were the first to abolish it though isn't it:D

I wonder if that will get a mention in black history month

It's not funny, it's something we can be proud of and I'm sure it will get a mention in BHM in this country, if not in the USA.

There were also the racists who used poor golly symbolically to persecute a group of people.

Have a look at "Winston" being sacrificed and bear in mind this is the 21st Century ;)

BNP idiots being what they are does not mean that the original creation of a child's doll was done from malice.

Archived