Do you think Black History Month is a tad racist?

William Wilberforce is the most famous ex-pupil of the school I attended. One of the houses was named after him and more recently the Archbishop o' York unveiled a statue of him in the front courtyard. :)

Wilberforce probably didn't envisage if ever a statue was going to be unveiled in his memory that the guest of honour would be an Archbishop from Africa!

Anti-racism is a positive thing, oh sarcastic one.
In this century we have plenty of laws to prevent racism, people who make it their mission to take an anti-racist stance aren't so much positive as moaners and trouble-stirrers.

I've posted a link before on a similar thread some time before. The historical use is very easy to find online. as I said, I suggest you investigate further.
That wasn't quite as enlightening as I had hoped.

BNP idiots being what they are does not mean that the original creation of a child's doll was done from malice.

I agree, but you can probably understand why some people are a little sensitive to the term gollywog and its place in contemporary culture.

just from past threads I remember you and suff,identifying your self as mixed race..I think even halibut too

Well you remember wrong on my part fella.

sounds a little bit "mixed race "to me ""fella"":hihi:

and thats just after a quick scan what else are you in denial about:suspect:

jb

http://hmg.oxfordjournals.org/conten...pl_2/R176.full

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_co...olor_variation

You should see my family barleycorn, a veritable cornucopia of skin colours, physical differences and languages. Particularly on my father's side where his mother to all intents and purposes was 'white', but had 'black' parents herself. My father looks like a Mexican and I was surprised when I saw a picture of his Jamaican cousin who looked Chinese but with a black face...weird indeed! My sister's son looks white (he has a Macedonian father),and has the appearance of an East European.

Just goes to prove that racism is a misguided emotion since many of us are not actually what we appear to be.

'Turning the other cheek' might have been a better practice though, rather than fanning flames-happyhippy

Last edited by boyfriday; 04-08-2011 at 13:00.

In this century we have plenty of laws to prevent racism, people who make it their mission to take an anti-racist stance aren't so much positive as moaners and trouble-stirrers.

I must remember to pat Bassman, Streamline, nightlight and Mecky on the back the next time I encounter them :hihi:

They may address racism but they don't prevent it. As for the next assertion, I disagree.

That wasn't quite as enlightening as I had hoped.
You're happy to make erroneous statements and call people drama-queens, yet can't be bothered finding something you claim to want for yourself. I'm not surprised, though ... :D

. . . . . You're happy to make erroneous statements and call people drama-queens, yet can't be bothered finding something you claim to want for yourself. I'm not surprised, though ... :D
Hardly. I hold that the goliwog wasn't introduced as a tool for fomenting malice and racial hatred, it was made as a child's toy. At a time when such things simply would not have been connected with racism.

If you can show that I'm wrong, do so - don't tell me I'm wrong, refuse to give evidence and expect me to do the running (unless of course you can't link to any such evidence).

They may address racism but they don't prevent it. As for the next assertion, I disagree.

seeing you"re such an expert on racism, maybe you could tell me if

black history month will be addressing black on black racism in africa and implementing some kind of prevention programme for it?

Wilberforce probably didn't envisage if ever a statue was going to be unveiled in his memory that the guest of honour would be an Archbishop from Africa!

I guess not, but Wilberforce would have been pleased that Protestantism took root in Africa as he was a bit of a religious nut.

I also spent a year working in Malabo where the British anti-slavery fleet was based after abolition to stop the slave trade in West Africa.

It's not funny, it's something we can be proud of and I'm sure it will get a mention in BHM in this country, if not in the USA.

you're right its not funny ,its hiliarious when you know and I know the truth is that most blacks in the US will thanking god and their slave forefathers

that they were born in america and not africa

Archived