Do you think Black History Month is a tad racist?

I will be all for Black History Month...............

.....when we can have a nice White History Month too and be proud of it.

Then we have equality, right?

I think the 11 other months are devoted to white history :hihi:

But seriously, history should be joined up and not compartmentalised. It should also concentrate on the history of whatever country its being taught in to give a sense of identity.

For instance I learnt mainly English history, which included many worldwide events such as the World Wars as we were involved. My mother learnt Scottish history and was largely ignorant of what went on in England before Union.

I think its a bit patronising. The white man trying to make the oppressed black man feel better. If there was, I'm not saying there isn't, black history of any significance we'd already know about it. We wouldn't need a special month.

In relation to is it racist. I'd say it is. The best test of this is if you change the "black" to "white" and see what reaction you get.

or on the other hand what qualifys you as white

in new zealand you can claim maori heritage if your one fourteenth maori in your ancestry:hihi:

If that is what someone identifies with, I can't see a problem. Anyone with different heritages in their background has that option. It isn't all about skin colour; culture and tradition are important to some people too.

I looked for some information about Black History month, and its quite clear (to me) why it started. The man who was responsible was the son of slaves, who managed to get himself an education. His name was Carter Woodson, and in the 1920s he

'realized that most textbooks at the time ignored the history and achievements of blacks.'

http://history1900s.about.com/od/1920s/p/blackhistorymonth.htm

We've come a long way since those days, thank goodness, so its probably not as necessary now to highlight the inequalities that existed. However,

I'm sure for some folk (regardless of their background) the events and information will be interesting and perhaps even inspirational.

I don't think black history month is racist at all.

You wouldn't. What happened is way in the past but people are desperate to keep dragging it to the front, why do you or anyone else think that is? It's time to let go and move on instead of crying over spilt milk.

Archived