Do you think Black History Month is a tad racist?

I have to chuckle when I hear people say that western civilization/culture, pertaining to science and technologies etc, is based on ancient knowledge stolen from the middle east or Africa; "stolen" implies that it has been taken away from them :loopy: What did the westerner's do, extract this knowledge from the minds of the wise ones so that they no longer had it in their posession??

Why would a "white history month" be stupid? Would it not be nice to celebrate what white people have done for the world?

It might actually open some eyes, as some people clearly think that we have been nothing more than historical tyrants, who deserve no right of identity or pride?

Most of us whites are pretty familiar with our own history. There have been volumes and volumes about it. A lot of it paints a picture of what a nice bunch of people we are. Sometimes it isn't very nice, especially when it covers our treatment of black people over the years. Perhaps that's what scares us about them having a moment of their own to tell us about them. Most of the things they have introduced have been friendly and beneficial to us all, and should offend nobody. They recently brought in their own way on Christmas with Kwanza, a celebration of the feast in their own style. It offends nobody, neither does Black History Month. Nobody is forcing anybody to partcipate. If you don't like it, stay away.

Most of us whites are pretty familiar with our own history. There have been volumes and volumes about it. A lot of it paints a picture of what a nice bunch of people we are. Sometimes it isn't very nice, especially when it covers our treatment of black people over the years. Perhaps that's what scares us about them having a moment of their own to tell us about them. Most of the things they have introduced have been friendly and beneficial to us all, and should offend nobody. They recently brought in their own way on Christmas with Kwanza, a celebration of the feast in their own style. It offends nobody, neither does Black History Month. Nobody is forcing anybody to partcipate. If you don't like it, stay away.

There's no such thing as white history. We study history in this country, the relevant word is HISTORY. This covers all colours. Not just white. You see the white British are the least racist people in the world..:D

While we're on it the MOBO awards are racist as well///:suspect:

There's no such thing as white history. We study history in this country, the relevant word is HISTORY. This covers all colours. Not just white.
Judging by some of the posts to this thread it would appear some posters skipped school the week when black history was being studied.

There's no such thing as white history. We study history in this country, the relevant word is HISTORY. This covers all colours. Not just white. You see the white British are the least racist people in the world..:D

While we're on it the MOBO awards are racist as well///:suspect:

When I talk about history, I am defining that written by white people about their world. There is no intent on my part to be racist, and never has been.I don't have a clue what MOBO is. I am well familiar with British History. I took part in some of it during WWII, and in Korea, Suez, and Malaya.

When I talk about history, I am defining that written by white people about their world. There is no intent on my part to be racist, and never has been.I don't have a clue what MOBO is. I am well familiar with British History. I took part in some of it during WWII, and in Korea, Suez, and Malaya.

Well respect to you fine sir. My dad was in Korea also.....:D

MOBO is Music Of Black Origin...an awards thing..

People speak of all the great African contributions to the world, which naturally infers "black people", but what they actually mean is the egyptians, and thats when the penny drops :hihi: those folks generally are'nt "black" as such are they? you know, like this>http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/5676/5676,1270280484,3/stock-photo-young-adult-black-african-businessman-wearing-a-dark-smart-casual-outfit-with-a-dark-waistcoat-on-a-50311885.jpg your typical Egyptian looks like this>http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3589/3577536938_8de098dd43.jpg which is not what "black" people identify with.

Despite the refusal of the Secretary General of the Egyptian Supreme Council of Antiquities, Zahi Hawass, to release any DNA results which might indicate the racial ancestry of Pharaoh Tutankhamen, the leaked results reveal that King Tut’s DNA is a 99.6 percent match with Western European Y chromosomes.

The DNA test results were inadvertently revealed on a Discovery Channel TV documentary filmed with Hawass’s permission — but it seems as if the Egyptian failed to spot the giveaway part of the documentary which revealed the test results.

Hawass previously announced that he would not release the racial DNA results of Egyptian mummies — obviously because he feared the consequences of such a revelation.

On the Discovery Channel broadcast, which can be seen on the Discovery Channel website here, or if they pull it, on YouTube here, at approximately 1:53 into the video, the camera pans over a printout of DNA test results from King Tut.

Firstly, here is a brief explanation of the results visible in the video. It is a list of what is called Short Tandem Repeats (STRs).

STRs are repeated DNA sequences which are “short repeat units” whose characteristics make them especially suitable for human identification.

These STR values for 17 m

I think in response to the original question whether black history month is a tad bit racist the answer was no but some people are and they should go along to some of the events because they would be welcome and would really benefit from doing so

Despite the refusal of the Secretary General of the Egyptian Supreme Council of Antiquities, Zahi Hawass, to release any DNA results which might indicate the racial ancestry of Pharaoh Tutankhamen, the leaked results reveal that King Tut’s DNA is a 99.6 percent match with Western European Y chromosomes.

I'm sure the Egyptians who want to emigrate to the UK will be delighted to learn that the BNP and their supporters will welcome them with open arms if they're indigenously white ;)

Archived