Do you think Black History Month is a tad racist?

The Black History month started in America. Nobody except the most racist minded saw it as anything else but a time to recognize the contirubutions and part that black Americans have played thoughout history in America.

Obviously the black experience in Britain has been historically much different than that in America since British people of African descent are only third generation or less for the most part

Black History Month is African-American History Month in the USA. Which makes you wonder why we don't have a similar term here, like Afro-British.

The only problem I have with these kind of events is that they are skewed to show only the positive and so have the whiff of propaganda about them and using history for political ends. Yes, I realise history has always been used for political ends, but one of the aims of true historical research is to see through that.

It's similar to those lists of famous autistic people from history for instance. They are invariably lists of very cool people and they never tell you about the utter basturds in history who also happened to be autistic.

Black History Month is African-American History Month in the USA. Which makes you wonder why we don't have a similar term here, like Afro-British.

The only problem I have with these kind of events is that they are skewed to show only the positive and so have the whiff of propaganda about them and using history for political ends. Yes, I realise history has always been used for political ends, but one of the aims of true historical research is to see through that.

It's similar to those lists of famous autistic people from history for instance. They are invariably lists of very cool people and they never tell you about the utter basturds in history who also happened to be autistic.

I agree in part with what you say, however, there is already so much negative press around black people and black culture that something akin to 'Black History Month' redresses the balance.

The Black History month started in America. Nobody except the most racist minded saw it as anything else but a time to recognize the contirubutions and part that black Americans have played thoughout history in America.

Obviously the black experience in Britain has been historically much different than that in America since British people of African descent are only third generation or less for the most part

It doesn't make you racist to be critical, that's silly...

Don't worry, my grand parents were too, so it certainly isn't a 'black thang'.

Ps: could you tell us what your objection is to Miss Afro Caribbean? (not that I've ever heard of it). What's the problem with the council funding an Afro Caribbean centre?

That's obvious. I sometimes thing these sort of arguments are so blinkered and rigid. The Emperors New Clothes..

If a white only beauty contest was held, it wouldn't because it would be called racist, there'd be street protests and questions in the house of commons.

I though we were all trying to integrate and form one nation, but then you support events the divide one race from another.

Surely there's beauty contests that black women could enter along with their white bimbo counterparts...

I don't believe the council should aim to divide communities either by providing funding for one section, without others as well..:)

I sometimes thing these sort of arguments are so blinkered and rigid.

Whereas you're a paradigm of enlightenment and flexibility of thought, Frank.

I don't believe the council should aim to divide communities

The council don't need to. There's yourself, the BNP, EDL, NF, et al, to do that.

Archived