Do you think Black History Month is a tad racist?

That's obvious. I sometimes thing these sort of arguments are so blinkered and rigid. The Emperors New Clothes..

If a white only beauty contest was held, it wouldn't because it would be called racist, there'd be street protests and questions in the house of commons.

I though we were all trying to integrate and form one nation, but then you support events the divide one race from another.

Surely there's beauty contests that black women could enter along with their white bimbo counterparts...

I don't believe the council should aim to divide communities either by providing funding for one section, without others as well..:)

Sorry Frank, but where have I indicated my support for Miss Afro-Caribbean beauty contests or the Caribbean centre in Sheffield? I'm not a fan of beauty contests and never visited Sadacca in my life. The fact is neither is dividing a community, that's a figment of the imagination.

I don't think the Darby & Joan Club you frequent has a hostile agenda against gays, the young or unmarried mothers, but if you like hanging out with fuddy duddies that's your business.

There are clubs and societies for women, old age pensioners, Irish, Poles, Catholics, Jews etc etc etc, in fact the ex-patriate club was invented by the British as they went about their colonising business.

Then you wouldn't mind a "White History Month" and the "MOWO" awards.

Do you know anything about black history? I probably don't know as much as I should do because when I was at school 99% of history lessons covered British history and details of her global conquests. That's absolutely fine, but there's a big world out there and if campaigns are created to encourage engagement in the study and understanding of other cultures and their histories how on earth can that be construed as a bad thing?

Nobody is suggesting that this event should replace or supercede the teaching of British history, but in fairness we get quite a lot of that already don't we?

I agree in part with what you say, however, there is already so much negative press around black people and black culture that something akin to 'Black History Month' redresses the balance.

Hey, remember Suffy-blacks all eat dog food, practice voodoo and are prodigiously endowed. Oh and apparently are all blessed with natural rythmn :banana:

Whereas you're a paradigm of enlightenment and flexibility of thought, Frank.

The council don't need to. There's yourself, the BNP, EDL, NF, et al, to do that.

Double standards, that's what it is...:hihi:

I'm sure SCC will be delighted to be compared to the BNP..:suspect:

Don't worry, my grand parents were too, so it certainly isn't a 'black thang'.

Ps: could you tell us what your objection is to Miss Afro Caribbean? (not that I've ever heard of it). What's the problem with the council funding an Afro Caribbean centre?

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your support for the above. What did you mean then? So you don't have a problem with white only awards and beauty contests...

Double standards Mr Friday...double standards...:D

Its double standards mumkin. They'll try and weasle their way out of it by name calling but it is plain and simple double standards and racism...:D

Explain something Frank - every month apart from Black History Month we get history with a predominantly white focus - with me so far?

So then we have a little bit of black history, to balance things up a tiny bit - still with me?

Where's the racism there?

MOBO's - most modern chart music has its roots in the blues/R and B/ gospel traditions. Mostly genres with a large preponderance of black people yes?

Is the MOBO's a black only event? No

Are white artists welcome and celebrated too? Yes

Where's the racism there?

That's just it, its not. History is history..Schools can't teach white only history..

With the exception of BHM, the great majority of history taught in our schools is taught from a white perspective.

That's the truth of it Frank.

Proper history should be taught in schools; so many kids dont know that their Royal navy defeated the combined French and Spanish fleets in the battle of Trafalgar, but yet they've just been furnished with the knowledge that a black person invented ice cream - and thats not even really true anyway!

Archived