Do you think Black History Month is a tad racist?

Proper history should be taught in schools; so many kids dont know that their Royal navy defeated the combined French and Spanish fleets in the battle of Trafalgar,
Well my kids certainly do, what school do your kids go to? I'm sure you're sufficiently well versed in the subject yourself to complete any gaps in their knowledge.

but yet they've just been furnished with the knowledge that a black person invented ice cream - and thats not even really true anyway!

Really? Which conventional history lesson does that form part of the curriculum in?

Proper history should be taught in schools; so many kids dont know that their Royal navy defeated the combined French and Spanish fleets in the battle of Trafalgar, but yet they've just been furnished with the knowledge that a black person invented ice cream - and thats not even really true anyway!

Much like the crap that's in each mornings tabloids which some forummers readily lap up & regurgitate on here.:gag:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Sidney

White history, as you call it, I'll call it history, is mostly made up of white people for an obvious reason. This is because the country is mostly populated by white people. The vast majority of historical figures are white. Black people are not excluded from history. The fact is that there aren't many black people in British history.

Halibuts amazing response.

So, as I said, it's mostly taught from a white perspective.

Yes, as I said history is taught from an almost wholly white perspective.

So you want a few made up stories and characters about Black people to create a balance, you've really surpassed yourself with this one.

According to Halibut we can only teach history that has an equal number of Blacks in it therfore anything that happened before Brixton and Broadwater Farm isn't legit balanced history.

It doesn't make you racist to be critical, that's silly...

What's to be critical ? Americans of Hispanic descent also have their equivalent of black history month. It's called Hispanic Heritage month

In a multi-racial nation such as America these kind of recognitions were long overdue.

Until a couple of decades ago most Americans were never taught that Chinese and Irish labour built the transcontinetal railroads. The railroad barons who financed the building and the engineers who made it happen were all lauded though

The Anglo-Saxon experience in America is already well known and has been taught to every schoolboy for the past 180 years or more.

It's commendable that the blood, sweat and tears of other ethnic groups is being acknowledged. It took long enough for it to happen

So you want a few made up stories and characters about Black people to create a balance, you've really surpassed yourself with this one.

Where did I say I wanted made up stories?

You're inventing things again aren't you?

According to Halibut we can only teach history that has an equal number of Blacks in it therfore anything that happened before Brixton and Broadwater Farm isn't legit balanced history

More silly lies Bass.

Or are you really stupid enough to think that one in twelve is equal?

What's to be critical ? Americans of Hispanic descent also have their equivalent of black history month. It's called Hispanic Heritage month

In a multi-racial nation such as America these kind of recognitions were long overdue.

Until a couple of decades ago most Americans were never taught that Chinese and Irish labour built the transcontinetal railroads. The railroad barons who financed the building and the engineers who made it happen were all lauded though

The Anglo-Saxon experience in America is already well known and has been taught to every schoolboy for the past 180 years or more.

It's commendable that the blood, sweat and tears of other ethnic groups is being acknowledged. It took long enough for it to happen

I don't disagree with any of that. I merely pointed out that it doesn't make anyone racist to disagree with it..

Archived