Do you think Black History Month is a tad racist?

You wouldn't. What happened is way in the past but people are desperate to keep dragging it to the front, why do you or anyone else think that is? It's time to let go and move on instead of crying over spilt milk.

Who's 'crying over spilt milk'?

Given Audra's excellent post, I think you would be a beneficiary from participation:

Black history month is not a race issue believe it or not the two things "black history" and "race' are two very different things in this instance.

Black history is actually very rich and imperatively important because many people actually believe that black people started as slaves when in fact that period in history reflects a very small limiting view of black people who were previous to slavery very innovative powerful intellectual and pioneers of lots of sciences and arts and have been since and continue to be. Black history month is not a case of favouritism over race or a racial issue nor a regurgatation of the slave trade story but a much needed informative narrative on BLACK HISTORY in its overall summarised entirety and nothing to do with race issues.

You wouldn't. What happened is way in the past but people are desperate to keep dragging it to the front, why do you or anyone else think that is? It's time to let go and move on instead of crying over spilt milk.

History is incredibly important - if we don't understand the past we can't make sense of the present or plan for the future.

That's a bit rich coming from someone with your views on race. You're one of those always spilling milk on here towards Muslims. Nice to know you have a chip on your shoulder about blacks too. Anyone else out there you dislike?

Would you think the same of White History Month?

We already study white history in great detail, however as Mecky's previous contribution illustrates encouraging people to study the past of the people who live around them can hardly be a bad thing can it-it could be a great learning experience.

I remember when I was at school the only blacks we encountered in history lessons were slaves or semi naked Africans with plates through their bottom lips, I think some people believe that's about the extent of it.

We already study white history in great detail, however as Mecky's previous contribution illustrates encouraging people to study the past of the people who live around them can hardly be a bad thing can it-it could be a great learning experience.

I remember when I was at school the only blacks we encountered in history lessons were slaves or semi naked Africans with plates through their bottom lips, I think some people believe that's about the extent of it.

Dunt really answer the question that.

No I wouldn't find it racist, 90% of the history I've studied has been 'white' history, so it's hardly a problem, but it's patently obvious that most of us know bugger all about black history.

Maybe there isnt that much to know.

I mean, look at africa. All those people live there and practicaly nothing possitive comes from a single one of em. They dont invent anything for the great good of mankind, they dont achieve anything for the greater good of mankind, they just soak up aid like a sponge then in their best Oliva voice they say,

"Please buana, can i have some more?"

Sad but true :(

Archived