Do you think Black History Month is a tad racist?

Yeah, c'mon Frank - why would you (or anyone) disagree?

Paradoxically,they may see it as racist. it doesn't make anyone racist to disagree with it. No doubt there are some who are racist and don't like it for this reason...But that's not everyone, the term "racist" is thrown about too often..

Thanks for proving my point, what you just described is all that the vast majority of people mention, and as I said, it's a very narrow view.So we have a whole month every year, dedicated to "black" history, and people focus on the same old stuff.

Be my guest. Elaborate a little further beyond a one line statement. Thanks

I will be all for Black History Month...............

.....when we can have a nice White History Month too and be proud of it.

Then we have equality, right?

I've got a better idea. Why not similtaeneously have Black History Month and White Petty Minded Begrudger's Month. They would compliment each other nicely.

500 years isn't very long in term of human history. Simples.

You, concentrated on "the usual", as usual.

What about everything else?

Music, the arts and sport whcih were/are invaluable contributions to America and it's heritage those being the first that come to mind.

Perhaps you can elaborate further bearing in mind that Black History month originated in America so all further input must be relevent to the black experience in that country.

I know little of what the experience is or what it was outside of America other than most of Africa was colonized by Europe for a few centuries and that the Zulu culture in particular was considered to be extremely advanced by those Europeans who first arrived in Africa.

Beyond that anything I know isn't worth mentioning.

What about a "White People Who Pretend they are from an Underpriviledged Ethnic Minority"Month? There are surely enough shameless whingebags and blinkered hypocrites on here to support a festival based around the self pitying pretence that White British are a socially dissadvantaged minority?

Black History month is (IMO) 'racially insensitive' but it's hardly 'racist'.

The people who run (or who take part in displays during) Black History Month aren't saying "This is Black History Month, the rest of history doesn't count" they're saying "We would like you to remember these things, too."

I don't have a problem with that, nor do I need another colour history month ... there is no shortage of commemoration of non-black history.

I don't make friendships based on colour, my friends are people who have similar interests and similar backgrounds to me. - Understandable, perhaps.

I live in a community which is 80% retired military (and I'm one of the 80%) so most of my friends will probably be retired military. (and the military is colourblind.)

I haven't been here long and although I have a few acquaintances, I have no real friends. (It takes a while to make real friends.)

The two most likely friends are the retired Engineer across the road and his neighbour, the retired Delta Airlines Pilot.

One of them is black, but that's irrelevant.

Paradoxically,they may see it as racist. it doesn't make anyone racist to disagree with it. No doubt there are some who are racist and don't like it for this reason...But that's not everyone, the term "racist" is thrown about too often..

I'm sure there are a lot of people who aren't racist, who merely object to it out of petty minded anal retentiveness.

It isn't fair labling these people as racists, just because they have extremely tight arses! After all, nobody chooses to be born with an air tight sphincter, do they?

I pray that one day we will live in a world where a man will not be judged on the tightness of his sphincter, but by the colour of his skin!

Archived