Would you still eat meat if you had to slaughter the animal yourself?

Meat - and the flesh of fish - comes from living creatures. If you're going to eat it, you should (IMO) be prepared to kill it.

I agree with this - although from the opposite perspective to you as I'm a vegetarian. I don't have a moral objection to animals being killed for food, as long as they are treated well, but people should be aware of where their food comes from and if they are not prepared to kill it themselves they shouldn't expect someone else to do the dirty work for them.

This doesn't mean everyone must kill every animal they eat, rather they shouldn't pretend meat grows in little plastic trays round the back of Sainsbury's.

Give me an AK47 semi automatic assault rifle and free rein of Chatsworth for the day and I'd be quite happy to stock my freezer with venison (or anything else that got in the way).

A couple of grenades'd come in handy too ... just pick up the bits of meat you want! ;)

I saw a food programme once where a boar was going to be killed and turned into a years worth of sausages. The farmer would use his rifle to scratch the boar on the head every day whilst feeding it. This way when "the big day" came the boar would feel no anxiety or fear and the kill would be quick and stress free.

To be fair, the pig probably wasn't trained in gun recognition, and the bullet in the brain probably had more to do with death being quick and and stress free more than regular tickling with a muzzle.

But if it makes people feel better about a pig being shot in the head for their breakfast then so be it I suppose.

I'm better at things other than killing animals (as a few badly necked chickens might testify) so while I have no problem, I'm perfectly happy to let others do it for me.

But here's a thought - perhaps all societies problems with food (obesity, unhealthy choices, additives, etc) might be cured within a generation if primary school children were taught how to slaughter and prepare their lunch?

So how about it parents - how would you feel if your wee one came home all excited with stories about the goat they had put to death that day?

Give me an AK47 semi automatic assault rifle and free rein of Chatsworth for the day and I'd be quite happy to stock my freezer with venison (or anything else that got in the way).

A couple of grenades'd come in handy too ... just pick up the bits of meat you want! ;)

Are you that bad a shot you'd need to spray bullets everywhere to have a hope of hitting anything. ;)

To be fair, the pig probably wasn't trained in gun recognition, and the bullet in the brain probably had more to do with death being quick and and stress free more than regular tickling with a muzzle.

But if it makes people feel better about a pig being shot in the head for their breakfast then so be it I suppose.

The tickling with the gun had nothing to do with gun recognition. It was to do with getting the animal used to having something barrel shaped being pressed up against it's head regularly. That way it wouldn't feel any trepidation when the big day came.

Why is that such a problem for you? :huh:

The tickling with the gun had nothing to do with gun recognition. It was to do with getting the animal used to having something barrel shaped being pressed up against it's head regularly. That way it wouldn't feel any trepidation when the big day came.

Why is that such a problem for you? :huh:

Not a problem, I'm just amused at the anthropomorphising of a pig... right up to the point when it has its brains blown out in favour of sausages.

Archived