Seismic activity due to global warming?

erebus

The globe is like a balloon and instead of air, there is lava, a thick viscous plastic material, where if one place is pushed in, it pushes out in another place, compensating for the depression.

The ice sheets, glaciers, were once much bigger than they are now, and their weight was considerable, depressing the earths crust locally due to their weight. Their removal has allowed the land to be free of this compressive force, and therefore can start to return to its natural state pre glaciation..

The world is not a balloon, and seismic activity locally as in Greenland, and Chile, where the glaciers have considerably melted, has it seems, slowly affecting the earth's crust, allowing it to adjust to a non depressed state. I am amazed that this link has not been made between the increase in seismic activity, in the form of particular volcanic activity, in the last couple of years, which has affected travelling by air, and the melting of the respectice local glaciers.

But we want to travel, and buy lots of stuff, and as the glaciers melt, seal levels rise at an average of 3mm a year. The earth’s previously weighted crust compensates for the reduction in weight will continue to rise locally, in further unexplained seismic activity, which the authorities / media feed to the public as inconvenient air travel, and not a result of global warming.

One can argue the toss about man's involvement in such a sudden rise in temperature till the cows come home, as well as previous past records of global warming. This sort of mass debate allows people to argue allowing politicians and corporate interests, both ties to short term gains, to do nothing. So such debates, are possibly an excuse for inactivity, but the fact the photographic evidence exists to back up the melting of glaciers in the last 50 years is somewhat sidelined as the directing of guilt becomes the sole objective.

Well Nero cannot be said to be fiddling while glaciers melt this time.

With 7 billion people living on the existing land mass, and increasing while the land mass itself is slowly decreasing, will force the rich and powerful interests into wars, and necessary genocides to make way for saving the chosen ones from starvation and of course drowning, starvation, and such.

How much does a cubic foot of Ice weigh?

How much does a cubic foot of rock weigh?

Does rock float?

When you've done the sums and when you've sharpened your arguments, bring them back.

BTW. Subsequent to 55BC, Julius Caesar's troops were growing grapes along Hadrian's wall. They made wine from those grapes.

Are there many vineyards in Northumberland today?

Or has global warming made Northumberland too hot to grow decent vines?

Has there been any increase in seismic activity over the last say thousand years?

jb

Seismic activity data has shown earthquakes to have increased in the last 100 years but that also seems to coincide with the fact that data was not abundant before then. We now have monitoring stations and instant news whereas we didn't before.

#erbus.

quotes:

"The globe is like a balloon", "The world is not a balloon." so which one is it?

Seismic activity data has shown earthquakes to have increased in the last 100 years but that also seems to coincide with the fact that data was not abundant before then. We now have monitoring stations and instant news whereas we didn't before.

#erbus.

quotes:

"The globe is like a balloon", "The world is not a balloon." so which one is it?

To further answer my own question it would seem that over the last 30 years there has been no dramatic increase in earthquakes over mag 6.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqarchives/year/graphs.php

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/faq/?categoryID=6&faqID=110

http://www.science20.com/florilegium/blog/why_so_many_earthquakes_decade-65178

... and an interesting seismic monitor

http://www.iris.edu/seismon/

jb

The globe is like a balloon and instead of air, there is lava, a thick viscous plastic material, where if one place is pushed in, it pushes out in another place, compensating for the depression.

I don't think thats how it works, the crust isn't like a balloon skin.

Well what has happened to intelligent life? Maybe the subject matter was too hard to grasp, but the answers must be a joke, as who can be so thick. So just in case it was not a joke but genuine ignorance I will address points:

auto98uk Joke: The land mass is not decreasing its being covered by water, well we certainly have intelligent life of some sort, but what? The definition of land is the parts of the earth NOT covered by water! Next …

Rupert’s JokesHow much does a cubic foot of Ice weigh? How much does a cubic foot of rock weigh? Does rock float?

Well rocks do float Rupert but on magma, magma is molten rock underneath the crust which you live on in Sheffield, and not Magna in Rotherham which is a tourist site attempting to educated children. Regarding the ice issue I was not talking about a cubic foot, more a cubic mile, which I appreciate is hard to understand. A gallon of water weighs about 12.5 pounds, a cubic mile of water is about 1.1 trillion gallons, and Chile has lost about 20 cubic miles of water, once locked up in glaciers, so I hope you can work it out. In Iceland, over the last 60 years has lost about 600 cubic miles of ice, so just over 100 cubic miles, and you can work that out too. http://notendur.hi.is/oi/icelandic_glaciers.htm

Regarding the ice issue I was not talking about a cubic foot, more a cubic mile, which I appreciate is hard to understand.

If you're going to patronise people, you should avoid making yourself look ridiculous by failing to realise that density remains constant regardless of the volume involved.

Archived