Do you remember the old black lead ranges?

GOLDEN OLDIE

Remember them intimately.

When I left school back in the fifties one of my first jobs had the grand title of "Apprentice stove and grate fitter" at Wm. Greens, West bar. this was at the time that every one was having their ranges out and the old tiled fire places put in...

Have no idea how many times I've gone home with hands and face like a chimney sweep, and in those days of no bathroom, and only a cold tap on the sink it was hard work getting ready to go out in the evening I can tell you..

Do I remember the old black lead Ranges ? most of that time looked like one...:hihi:

I remember the Yorkshire Ranges in Attercliffe very well. My mother cooked meat and potato pies along with a rice pudding...baked the best bread cakes..........there was always a kettle on the go and my dads work clothes went into the top bit to dry out for work the next morning. Mother was most upset when the corporation decided to rip them all out and "modernise"....she baked once in the gas oven but said that it was rubbish compared to the "proper oven" and that she would never do it again.....True to her word, she didn't and then they went and pulled the houses down a short time later.

You did well. They can be had for £500.

She did do well, theres a shop just of Eccleshall Rd can't give 'em away, we had one in my mums house but as we were like the rest of Grimesthorpe and rented from a private landlord the builders took ours away when they fitted us a gas fire in the early 70s, not many people were fortunate to own their own houses in my youth.

The place where we went on holiday this year still has a huge range in the kitchen. You didn't have to use it (there was a full fitted kitchen with cooker etc too) but if I was visiting in winter I imagine that the kitchen would be wonderfully warm when it's fired up.

We used to have one in our old cottage in the 50s my mother did all the dishes that have been posted on previous threads.I can remember my dad ripping it out and fitting a modern version of the same type of range it had a heat gauge on the oven door,the finish was like you would see on some fire grates a bronze two tone colour,easy to wipe clean so no black leading!:cool:

We called it a"Cornish Range" for reasons which are probably lost in the mists of time. To put something on to the mantlepiece would be to "put in on the cornish"

Probably from the word 'corniche' (pronounced 'corneesh')

Wikepedia - The word corniche typically refers to a road on the side of a cliff or mountain, with the ground rising on one side of the road and falling away on the other. The word comes from the French 'route à corniche' or road on a ledge

So maybe used to describe a mantlepiece?

Probably from the word 'corniche' (pronounced 'corneesh')

Wikepedia - The word corniche typically refers to a road on the side of a cliff or mountain, with the ground rising on one side of the road and falling away on the other. The word comes from the French 'route à corniche' or road on a ledge

So maybe used to describe a mantlepiece?

Or perhaps a corruption of 'cornice'.

Archived