Do you remember the old black lead ranges?

GOLDEN OLDIE

We had the old range in the house at Hatfield House Lane, Shirehall Road & Masters Rd. on Parson Cross.They had an oven, a grill the was hinged over the fire to put pots on, the big disadvantage was the hot water boiler behind the fire place, no fire, no hot water. My father worked at Wm. Greens 's in Ecclesfield as a Stove, Grate Fitter.

My Nan, who lived on Helen Road in Darnall, (non-existent now) had one. She used to cook both on the actual fire, and in the oven at the side. It had a high mantle piece which she covered with an antimacasseur and lots of trinkets and ornaments. She never had a proper cooker till she was moved out due to compulsory purchase and went to live on the Littledale Estate

Probably from the word 'corniche' (pronounced 'corneesh')

Wikepedia - The word corniche typically refers to a road on the side of a cliff or mountain, with the ground rising on one side of the road and falling away on the other. The word comes from the French 'route à corniche' or road on a ledge

So maybe used to describe a mantlepiece?

I think you are looking to deep :hihi: Its most probably this type of range

http://www.jw-eng.co.uk/page_1227786541328.html

all the houses on yew lane had yorkshire ranges when i lived there

my dad bought a gas fire for the room and had a wooden screen built in the kitchen to hide the range when the council came to remove them they thought ours had been taken wonder if its slill there

Yes we had one when I was young, the centre of our life, providing warmth cooked food, bed warmers, hot water and dried the washing.

I used to help my Mom to black lead it with, ? Zebra polish. it had stainless steel edges which we attacked with sand paper.

My Dad usd to light the fire early mornings with papersticks and coal, using a shovel with a sheet of newspaper to draw the flames up the chimnay which had a series of metal drawers which were pulled in or out according to whether the fire roared or not.

Some had a hob for the kettle to sit on so there was always hot water to mash tea. We had a long handled toasting fork and we toasted slices of bread which was spread with marge and plum jam as the butter ration was always gone by the day it was delivered, my Mom baking bread cakes on the bottom shelf of the oven that day.

The shelves were taken out at night covered in bits of blanket and put in bed as warmers. It's odd how comforting they were at night and so cold and uninviteing in the morning.

I did hear that some oven doors was left open at night so the cat could sleep

in it but not sure whether this was true.

hazel

Thank you for bringing lovely memories back, my sisters and I used to line up in front of the fire and lift the back of our skirts up to warm backsides. :P

Archived