Shooting Lisence With Mental Health Problems.

FatDave

Hi, I'm about to submit my applications for FAC, Shotgun cert, and explosives cert, (shotgun for clay shooting, FAC for full bore rifle range shooting, and explosives lisence so I can store black powder to fire old muzzle loaders) and one of the questions asks about previous mental health problems.

I have in the past, and still from time to time, suffer minor anxiety attacks, I'm not taking any medication, but have visited a mental health professional as a referal from my GP. I would consider my mental health problems to be the mildest that people can suffer from, they don't stop me working, they don't cause depression, it's just a pain every now and again.

I'm wondering if aybody knows whether me ticking the "Yes" box for the mental health issues question (there is also a box which asks for details) will automatically disqualify me from obtaining my certificate?

Hi, I'm about to submit my applications for FAC, Shotgun cert, and explosives cert, (shotgun for clay shooting, FAC for full bore rifle range shooting, and explosives lisence so I can store black powder to fire old muzzle loaders) and one of the questions asks about previous mental health problems.

I have in the past, and still from time to time, suffer minor anxiety attacks, I'm not taking any medication, but have visited a mental health professional as a referal from my GP. I would consider my mental health problems to be the mildest that people can suffer from, they don't stop me working, they don't cause depression, it's just a pain every now and again.

I'm wondering if aybody knows whether me ticking the "Yes" box for the mental health issues question (there is also a box which asks for details) will automatically disqualify me from obtaining my certificate?

I don't actually know, but I would hope that ticking yes wouldn't automatically disqualify you. At the very least, I'd expect that whoever makes the judgement would want to speak to your GP.

And if you DONT tick the yes box, and they later find out, they will automatically withdraw the licence...

I wasn't intending to lie on the form, just wanted to know whether I shouldn't waste my time.

Here Dave - found this looks like it's a bit like I suggested, hope it helps.http://www.sportinggun.co.uk/shootinganswers/446072/Will_mental_health_affect_my_firearms_certificate.html

Thanks for the info Halibut, there must be a coarse people can take in Google, because when I tried to search for information I found sod all that was helpful.

Thanks for the info Halibut, there must be a coarse people can take in Google, because when I tried to search for information I found sod all that was helpful.

You're welcome. I just searched under FAC firearms certificate mental health.

Maybe it'd be as well to tick yes and attach a letter from your GP when you send in the application.

Archived