LABOUR Hypocrites

xenia

No. I meant allowing many years of power going to their heads. I meant being totally in thrall to the city of London and the money men. I meant inflation out of control. I meant interest rates of 15%. Above all, I meant the big bang and the delayed problems that it has caused for all of us.

The 1980s were as badly mismanaged as the noughties. Things were just not as interlinked then.

I was just waiting for someone to trot out the 15% interest rate. How long was it there for - two hours or something?

If that's the best you can do to rubbish it against Labours dismal record then you need to come up with something a deal better.

I was just waiting for someone to trot out the 15% interest rate. How long was it there for - two hours or something?

If that's the best you can do to rubbish it against Labours dismal record then you need to come up with something a deal better.

My mortgage rate in 1987 was 12.75%. It wasn't even half of that throughout the Labour administration. A 12.75% mortgage rate now would be the end of the UK housing market.

Indeed. I think Labour are right about needing to manage markets. It's just they've made such a hash of doing so that they would struggle to get any buy in whatsoever from the media no matter how justified any managed intervention.

As for the Conservatives, they have a track record of trumpeting free markets while simultaneously distorting (i.e. managing/intervening in) markets in favour of their core support.

I'm interested in what Miliband is trying to do - he's making the point that both main parties recognise the need for interventions. He just hasn't got a hope of selling it, no matter how imaginative his new ways of describing that need are.

I think that we are reaching the end of the Thatcher/Blair experiment. Quite clearly, the market cannot decide. We need to be smarter than that. We do need competition and some free market economics, but we also need a stronger moral framework.

After all, who in their right mind could justify the bonuses paid by RBS, for example, after they have been bailed out by the poorest in society, amongst others.

It is time for a change..

What has your rate five years earlier to do with it?

I'd rather have paid that on a loan of a quarter of the size than pay half that on a lon four times the size which is what happened under Labour.

I'd rather pay a lower rate on a higher sum, if I'm going to get the higher sum as my return.

Not that I think that house prices are in any way fair at the moment, but if I must join in, let me pay 2% of £100 000 rather than 12% of £30 000.

Stating the truth isn't an insult no matter how unfortunate you think it makes people look.

Be that as it may. I'll let you review your contribution later.

It doesn't look great from where I am though.

Archived