Interested in fungi

hauxwell

Patrick Harding used to run a course at the Uni that anyone could sign up to but it's no longer running. His Collins Gem guide is the best to take with you in the field.

For a more in depth reference book I'd recommend Roger Philips' Guide and I've just discovered he has a website with a fungi key, but there is a disclaimer about eating poisonous ones and having your liver and kidneys turn to mush.

Sheffield Wildlife Trust used to do guided walks, you could try them.

• 3 weeks later...

Please don't listen to identification generalities posted here, you could die.

When i was asking the same question as yourself many years back there were no organised forays so i taught myself, though it was well into my second season before i actually ate anything, and that was after collecting thousands of specimens, taking spore samples, learning the characteristics of each edible example etc.

I'd recommend you go out into the field yourself but initially collect nothing, just study what you find on the spot and cross reference them with a couple of good guide books, then begin collecting and studying at home.

Sounds long winded i know but your life and those you share your bounty with is in your hands, though do persevere, it's a really rewarding experience, nothing beats a fresh mushroom stew with chanterelles, ceps and bay boletes.

Please don't listen to identification generalities posted here, you could die.

Which "identification generalities" are you referring to?

nothing beats a fresh mushroom stew with chanterelles, ceps and bay boletes.

In my opinion chanterelles want to be chopped and fried in butter & to be served with venison.

My friend collected some mushroom last year, which sent her to hospital for emergency treatment.

She went to the woods with a beautifully illustrated book as a reference, but still got the wrong kind mushroom back.

If you are not 100% sure,don't try. Safety first,is it .

hello, i really want to go foraging also.

went to beeley woods the other day, we collected sweet chestnuts and i just looked at the types of mushrooms that were around. there werent many so i want to go to greno wood.

i just want free food really, but i know theres alot to practice before picking them, but at least theres other edible things growing.

Archived