What would Mr Cameron have done differently?

The truth is none of us can definitively say what they would have done, but in all liklihood they would have done the same as the options at the time were probably very limited indeed.

Please Labour supporters this is a genuine answer, if all you can offer is an insult then don't bother.

A simple question: If the Tories had been in office at the time of the banking crisis what would they have done differently?

Please Tory supporters this is a genuine question, if all you can offer is an insult then don't bother.

I'm not a Tory supporter but I'll answer.

I don't think any of the parties could have done anything different once the banking crisis had occurred. The prospect of people losing their savings and the other disruption that would have been caused were too great for them not to.

A better question might be would the Tories have done anything different in the decade leading up to the banking crisis that might have reduced it's impact on this country. I don't think they would have, except perhaps been slightly less enthusiastic about saddling us with so many PFI commitments. Not enough to make a significant difference though.

A simple question: If the Tories had been in office at the time of the banking crisis what would they have done differently?

I suspect the UK probably wouldn't have been in debt up to it's eyeballs before the crisis hit and would be in a far better position to deal with it's fallout.

But then... I don't have a crystal ball.

Please Tory supporters this is a genuine question, if all you can offer is an insult then don't bother.

Who could know but they may have increased interest rates when the housing boom started like they did last time, this would have slowed the rate of lending, kept house prices affordable and possibly stopped some of the banking problems. They probably wouldn’t have said we have ended boom and bust which gave many people the impression the boom would continue forever and they wouldn’t have spent as much money on the public sector. They may have kept a tighter control over immigration which would have kept the population lower, housing wouldn’t have been in such demand so house prices would have stayed lower and bad debt due to high house priced wouldn’t have been as bad.

But then again they may have done everything the same in which case voting would be pointless.

If the Tories had been in office at the time of the banking crisis, there may well not have been one. After all, it took ten years of Labour policy to undo the incredibly strong position our economy was in as of 1997; without that work, our economy would still have been in a strong position.

I suspect the UK probably wouldn't have been in debt up to it's eyeballs before the crisis hit and would be in a far better position to deal with it's fallout.

But then... I don't have a crystal ball.

The UK is only in debt because of the crisis.

If the Tories had been in office at the time of the banking crisis, there may well not have been one. After all, it took ten years of Labour policy to undo the incredibly strong position our economy was in as of 1997; without that work, our economy would still have been in a strong position.

It's not often you are wrong but you are this time.

The link below clearly shows that from 1992 Tory governments historically run a much higher deficit than Labour.

http://www.gfmag.com/tools/global-database/economic-data/10395-public-deficit-by-country.html#axzz1VZQBVP9j

No No No!.........the UK like the US,has lived beyond it's means for years,the crisis has just focused attention to the problem

See the link and tell me which governing party had the highest deficit levels prior to the banking crisis.

http://www.gfmag.com/tools/global-database/economic-data/10395-public-deficit-by-country.html#axzz1VZQBVP9j

Archived