Sick pay for full time staff -a nasty surprise..

What about manual workers, when I was in the building industry you never got paid if you were off, you had to get a sick note and get ssp and stand the first 3 days.

It is standard in a great many occupations; it comes as a nasty shock to anyone who used to get better than the legal minimum for sick pay, and then finds they no longer get it.

In medical terms, stress/anxiety/depression has nothing at all to do with financial ability. Many millionaires suffer from them; many poor people do not.

it may not directly have anything to do with financial ability but believe me the stress and anxiety stems from the pressure of meeting financial deadlines the most pressing are wages.

I think the aim is to stop permanent staff from abusing sick pay.

Six months off for stress is absolutely stupid - some people don't have to deal with real problems.

I reckon if this was to come in, then long term sickness with stress would vanish overnight. When the bills need paying and your wages have stopped, then you suddenly find out the real meaning of stress.

Ironically, getting back to work and paying the bills (dealing with this stress) takes priority over the silly stress that people often have many months off work for.

(why does stress only appear to affect permanent, full time staff who work for the council? :suspect:)

Here speaks someone who has never been through the mental illness and depression that stress can cause. :rolleyes:

Here speaks someone who has never been through the mental illness and depression that stress can cause. :rolleyes:

SO why does stress tend to affect the public sector more? especially the permanent staff?

Could it have something to do with 6 months off sick on full pay,

YOu can understand why people would abuse the system, get stress in April, enjoy the summer, go abroad and still get your full wages. It can also work if stress strikes in October, christmas off, not having to get up for work when its cold and frosty.

SO why does stress tend to affect the public sector more? especially the permanent staff?

Could it have something to do with 6 months off sick on full pay,

YOu can understand why people would abuse the system, get stress in April, enjoy the summer, go abroad and still get your full wages. It can also work if stress strikes in October, christmas off, not having to get up for work when its cold and frosty.

its not just stress that affects the public sector more, its general time off.

we have created a system where public sector workers are almost unsackable and we pay them to take time off, duvet days etc.

the private sectore suffers far less absenteeism. i wonder why.

Archived