Sick pay for full time staff -a nasty surprise..

No it doesn't. It stems from chemical imbalances in the brain, which can have any number of causes.

so your view is employees can be stressed if they cant pay the mortgage and bills according to your last post ....but employers cant be stressed if they are having difficulty finding the wages:loopy::huh: because its a chemical imbalance?? sorry do we employers have a different make up to employees??

I think that by and large SSP should be the starting point, with management discretion as to wether to go up to full pay.

Anyone whose ever worked for a medium/large size company knows there are people who swing the lead, hit them in their pocket seems sensible with discretion to give good workers who are genuinely ill full pay.

As for "stress" - as has been pointed out we self employed sorts don't take months or weeks or days or even hours off because of "stress" - I guess our employment status makes us imune to it, whereas if your paycheck says so and so council on it you are immediately at incredible risk of stress preventing from getting your ass out of bed for up to 6 months at a time.

I'd say sick pay is one of those essential benefits when working for a modern company in the 21st century. You shouldn't be in fear of losing money from something out of your control, such as a nasty virus or breaking your leg.

If people play the system, then deal with them accordingly.

The NHS has a three stage system.

Have more than 4 separate periods off or two weeks within a year - whichever comes first - you get put on a stage 1.

If you have more than another two absences or 1 week off in 6 months then you go on a stage 2.

Further abuse puts you on a stage 3, and they can sack you.

After a year of no absences, you go down a stage.

They also refer you to a health professional, and call you every day to see if you are ok.

Maybe more companies should adopt this method, but keep sick pay for those that truly need it.

Oh, indeed it does. It can strike anywhere at any time, and it usually lasts for about 24 hours.

I think the common term for that particular illness, is "a hangover"

Tell me, does this illness seem to strike after a night on the lash, or does it tend to hit on a hot sunny day, or how about when the snow comes down? :hihi:

I don't have much time off through sickness thank goodness but I was off work this morning. I had been ill during the night with an upset stomach and was extremely tired at the time I should have been setting off for work. However, after a few hours sleep I managed to get myself up, showered and dressed and was then in work before 1.30pm and didn't leave until 6.45 to "catch up" on the hours I missed this morning.

Luckily I do get paid when off sick otherwise I most probably would have "lost" half a day's pay even though I feel I have put in the extra hours to compensate.

Although my hours are 9 till 5 I very often work until 6 or turned. I always feel that it should be a case of give and take - and that each party should be flexible but it does seem that a lot of employees and employers do tend to take advantage of one another.

I think the common term for that particular illness, is "a hangover"

Tell me, does this illness seem to strike after a night on the lash, or does it tend to hit on a hot sunny day, or how about when the snow comes down? :hihi:

its odd that it never seems to strike anyone who is self employed, anyone who doesnt get paid for days off or anyone with a good old fashioned work ethic.

its odd that it never seems to strike anyone who is self employed, anyone who doesnt get paid for days off or anyone with a good old fashioned work ethic.

Maybe these people end up working when they should be in bed recovering, precisely because they will lose income. There is a difference between a good work ethic and worying you can't meet your monthly bills.

We seemed to be getting bogged down in the matter of single days off. Let's imagine a more serious circumstance whereby you are in a car accident or need to have an operation and take 2-3 weeks off work. SSP works out at around £80 a week which is a pittance, and nowhere near enough to pay most people's bills.

Pesonally, I couldn't carry on working for an organisation that had such a punitive attitude towards it's staff.

Archived